'The Quiet Gun' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-30-2015, 12:50 PM

Default 'The Quiet Gun' - High-Def Digest Review

Matthew has reviewed 'The Quiet Gun'. He says this is a great movie with a solid story. The Blu-ray showcases a striking HD transfer with a robust audio track. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/18498/thequietgun.html
Old 03-30-2015, 04:20 PM

Why are these Olive releases the same? Seems like every time I click on a random Olive blu-ray review, the picture quality is usually getting around 3 stars and the release has zero extras. For the prices they're asking for their releases, it's not really worth it. They should be releasing most of their titles as a double feature if anything.
I don't want to keep bringing up Kino releases in my posts, but even with their releases they'll throw in a new commentary track or new interviews or something (same with Shout!/Scream Factory). I wish Olive did the same with their releases.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:37 PM

Damn Van Cleef is young in this! Will have to check out this film.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
Why are these Olive releases the same? Seems like every time I click on a random Olive blu-ray review, the picture quality is usually getting around 3 stars and the release has zero extras. For the prices they're asking for their releases, it's not really worth it.
Whether official or not, there seems to be a pecking order when it comes to the way the major studios license out their catalogs to smaller labels, most likely based on how much those labels are willing to pay. Prestige labels like Criterion or Twilight Time will generally get titles with decent video masters and some bonus features, while movies with old sub-par masters get foisted off on Mill Creek or Echo Bridge or Olive Films.

How Olive justifies charging prestige prices when they're providing bargain bin quality is something I certainly don't understand.

Exceptions exist, of course. Twilight Time and Criterion have a few really crappy looking discs, while Mill Creek just put out very nice, newly remastered editions of The Wild One and The Lady from Shanghai.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
How Olive justifies charging prestige prices when they're providing bargain bin quality is something I certainly don't understand.
I have no insight to that bit either - I've been reviewing a lot of their releases lately and while some feel like they're worth it for the film alone, but the high price tags are a bit of mystery. It's kind of like how Twilight Time started out, just the film on Blu-ray with or without a new restoration, and then were still 29.99. Thankfully they've done a decent job adding to the value of their releases, so I hope Olive starts to add something to the mix soon - for the most part these have been good movies that have only gotten mediocre releases.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:34 PM

For the most part this one had a strong transfer, I was an inch away from giving it a 4, but the print damage in places got a bit tough and I kicked it back. Over all it's a beauty, just have marked expectations on that end.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Prestige labels like Criterion or Twilight Time will generally get titles with decent video masters and some bonus features, while movies with old sub-par masters get foisted off on Mill Creek or Echo Bridge or Olive Films.
Never understood how Echo Brudge got such crummy masters sometimes. For example, Equilibrium, Dracula 2000, From Dusk Til Dawn, and Halloween H20 apparently all looked awful, but here in Canada, Alliance had access to very good masters and released them on blu-ray. Couldn't Echo Bridge have used those masters too and not the ones that the studio supposedly gave them?

And Mill Creek had some pretty decent looking double features a few years back. Found a bunch of them at my local Dollarama (selling them for $3). They were TOTALLY worth it.

Quote:
Exceptions exist, of course. Twilight Time and Criterion have a few really crappy looking discs, while Mill Creek just put out very nice, newly remastered editions of The Wild One and [B]The Lady from Shanghai.
They're releasing The Lady From Shanghai?! Had no idea! Definitely going to pick that one up. Thanks for the heads up! Just read David Krauss' review of it. Sounds like a phenomenal release!