'Lost': Did They Have a Plan or Make It All Up? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-25-2015, 11:13 AM

Default 'Lost': Did They Have a Plan or Make It All Up?

Haters and Losties alike. You've probably wanted to know the definitive answer to the "did the writers know where they were going?" question since 'Lost' crash-landed onto network television in September of 2004.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...t-all-up/21962
Old 03-25-2015, 12:45 PM

its probably just my browser at my work but the link to the essay doesn't work.

thought i;d mention it in case its not me!!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Working for me (on Safari).

Here's the URL if it helps: http://okbjgm.weebly.com/lost
Old 03-25-2015, 02:28 PM

The series sets up in its very first episode the central conflict between the Man of Faith (Locke) and the Man of Science (Jack).

Spoiler
At the exact mid-point, the Season 3 finale, Jack has a breakdown, doubts his previous beliefs, and begins his transition to the side of Faith. At the very end in the series finale, he completes his character arc to fully become the Man of Faith.

Whether you like that story or not is one thing. However, people who complain that the writers didn't have a plan, or didn't know what they were doing, or just winged-it as they went along, were simply not paying attention and did not understand what the show was about at all.

You may not like their plan, but they clearly did have one. It's right there, in the forefront of the show the whole time.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Working for me (on Safari).

Here's the URL if it helps: http://okbjgm.weebly.com/lost
thanks!! i'm home now but it still works so woo!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The series sets up in its very first episode the central conflict between the Man of Faith (Locke) and the Man of Science (Jack).

Spoiler
At the exact mid-point, the Season 3 finale, Jack has a breakdown, doubts his previous beliefs, and begins his transition to the side of Faith. At the very end in the series finale, he completes his character arc to fully become the Man of Faith.

Whether you like that story or not is one thing. However, people who complain that the writers didn't have a plan, or didn't know what they were doing, or just winged-it as they went along, were simply not paying attention and did not understand what the show was about at all.

You may not like their plan, but they clearly did have one. It's right there, in the forefront of the show the whole time.
The writers might have had a plan or knew how the show was going to end but there's no way some of the stuff that happened between the start and finish wasn't just made up on the fly. It's been a while since I've watched the show (the series finale) but I'm pretty sure there were a lot of unanswered questions left. Don't get me wrong though, I thought the show was a blast and was one of the very few shows that my wife and I actually watched together every week.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
The writers might have had a plan or knew how the show was going to end but there's no way some of the stuff that happened between the start and finish wasn't just made up on the fly. It's been a while since I've watched the show (the series finale) but I'm pretty sure there were a lot of unanswered questions left. Don't get me wrong though, I thought the show was a blast and was one of the very few shows that my wife and I actually watched together every week.
There were a shit ton of unanswered questions. The last two seasons were just horrible. I swore never to watch any reruns.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:56 AM

I think I could watch the entire series of Lost again in the time it would take me to read through that entire article. Can I get it in paperback form?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:03 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

It's obvious the writers/creators had a general arc in mind...but since they had no idea how long the show would run (until around the end of Season 4, I think - when ABC announced LOST would run for 6 seasons), it's obvious a lot of the stuff was being made up as they went and/or forgotten about as they went.

The most interesting thing about that piece is how much say ABC apparently had in what we saw...particularly how determined they were that LOST not be seen as 'science fiction', which is really a shame, since that's exactly what it was all along.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
It's obvious the writers/creators had a general arc in mind...but since they had no idea how long the show would run (until around the end of Season 4, I think - when ABC announced LOST would run for 6 seasons), it's obvious a lot of the stuff was being made up as they went and/or forgotten about as they went.

The most interesting thing about that piece is how much say ABC apparently had in what we saw...particularly how determined they were that LOST not be seen as 'science fiction', which is really a shame, since that's exactly what it was all along.
I had a feeling ABC was doing that. Losers.