'Exodus: Gods and Kings' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-24-2015, 12:22 PM

Default 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed Ridley Scott's 'Exodus: Gods and Kings'. Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1771...sandkings.html
Old 03-24-2015, 01:11 PM

Exactly how I felt, the movie looked great, the sets were awesome, the visuals were great but their relationship and everything that dragged between him getting sent off to him finally coming back was pretty boring, not near as engaging as the Ten Commandments did it and thats kind of sad really because Scott has delivered some great characters in his movies before and if any story needed that, it was this one.

I blind bought this one and I'm kind of regretting that, I'm not sure I can come to watch it again for anything other than the plagues at the end, with the performances being pretty much mediocre (especially Ramses) there isnt much to carry the movie for that long of a run time
Old 03-25-2015, 06:33 PM

In the middle of watching this and I really am not engaged. It's all over the place. Meets a girl, next scene is them getting married? The fuck? Give us some building of the relationship, there is no attachment to any character and they're in and out in a flash and brought in halfway through something.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:39 AM

Finally got to seeing this. I should have shut it off after Moses' first encounter with God. Give me a break how awful they did that, and then through the rest of the movie. What garbage. Terrible acting and screenplay. I can't believe Bale and Scott signed up to do this film. Utter and complete garbage. Vidfreek you were right.

Last edited by Boston007; 03-29-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 PM

Just watched it and I have to agree, not Scott's best effort. That been said, he said in an interview that the "real" version is 4 hours long. He had to cut out more than 90 minutes to make it marketable. If Kingdom Of Heaven is any indicator, the longer version (probably NOT 4 hours) will make the movie way more intriguing than it is now. KOH was first released on BD in the longer version. Don't really understand that they thought they could double dip with this one after the bad reviews.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
Just watched it and I have to agree, not Scott's best effort. That been said, he said in an interview that the "real" version is 4 hours long. He had to cut out more than 90 minutes to make it marketable. If Kingdom Of Heaven is any indicator, the longer version (probably NOT 4 hours) will make the movie way more intriguing than it is now. KOH was first released on BD in the longer version. Don't really understand that they thought they could double dip with this one after the bad reviews.
I don't think added minutes will help the film.

Maybe because I am a fan of the original, the way they implemented God's character AND Moses' character I thought was very poor. They did not have to be exactly like the bible or like the Ten Commandments, but how they implemented both those characters was AWFUL.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I don't think added minutes will help the film.

Maybe because I am a fan of the original, the way they implemented God's character AND Moses' character I thought was very poor. They did not have to be exactly like the bible or like the Ten Commandments, but how they implemented both those characters was AWFUL.
Yeah that was really bad, regardless of your beliefs that whole talk with the kid just cant work, both sides of that coin probably felt how stupid that was together. Some annoying vengeful child? Not a good choice at all

Even if things got filled in with a directors cut, I'm not sure what could improve, obviously the kid thing wouldnt improve, it would probably worsen with more conversation, Ramses just sucked really, no emotional impact what so ever, didnt care about him or anything that happened, The Ten Commandments made you care for both sides in a way and even back then, the acting was better IMO and I dont say that often about classics.

But many people said the DC of Kingdom of Heaven was far superior to the theatrical one, I own that version but I havent watched it and I remember really not liking the theatrical version of that one either, so maybe this does have some hope if it ever gets a DC...who knows though, it tanked in the US so I'm not expecting much....for once I could actually sell this one off and not care, I dont get rid of movies very often but I really shouldnt have blind bought this one.....I AM blind buying Interstellar though and I'm letting that one go because of Nolan, hopefully I dont find out that one sucks too
Old 03-31-2015, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Yeah, the choice of using the kid can't be fixed, but maybe we'd getting a better sense of the Moses / Ramses relationship (or, basically, all the other relationships). After KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, I'll give any Ridley Scott Director's Cut an open minded viewing. That said, the DC of THE COUNSELOR didn't help much.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:00 PM

Vidfreek, yes, all valid points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Yeah, the choice of using the kid can't be fixed, but maybe we'd getting a better sense of the Moses / Ramses relationship (or, basically, all the other relationships). After KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, I'll give any Ridley Scott Director's Cut an open minded viewing. That said, the DC of THE COUNSELOR didn't help much.
Even if they used the kid, but didn't make the kid this mean, angry, vengeful, kid who said stupid things that would have been a big improvement. It was just poorly written IMO.

You're right, the relationship or other ones could serve being fleshed out more with more time. But seriously, you need four hours for that?

That just tells me the screenplay was bloated, I could be wrong.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Never forget that, in features films (particularly ones directed by Ridley Scott), that he's in charge of the script's development. He has the final say in what's added in, what's taken out, what's shot on set, and what's edited into the released picture. Only saying this because I'm getting a sense from some of the comments here that there's a notion that Ridley Scott simply walks onto projects with bad scripts, and the just does the best he can with what he's given, rather than the reality where he's the General overseeing a band of collaborators.

The screenplay was clearly too long for sub two-hour theatrical cut, but why would a 4 hour cut bother you if it's great? Shouldn't every story be exactly as long as it needs to be (particularly in a digital world where you don't have to worry about the number of screenings per day)?