'Interstellar' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2015, 11:23 AM

Default 'Interstellar' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Interstellar'. As his wife put it, this is a "whole lotta movie," and sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy the ride. With exceptional video, audio, and extras, the Blu-ray is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/17402/interstellar.html
Old 03-20-2015, 11:38 AM

Saw this movie in IMAX and was stunned how much I enjoyed it.

Problem is- this movie is fucking LONG. I found it to be a little depressing too, so I am unsure if I will watch it again or repeated viewings like other movies.

Really glad they put a lot of supplements.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:51 AM

Agree with the review, fascinating but exhausting film. I will be picking this one up. The only sin that I saw with the science was
Spoiler
they needed a big multi-stage rocket to get the shuttle off the Earth, but then had no trouble getting back into orbit from the planets they visited.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:00 PM

"The standard 1.78:1 is employed for dialogue-centric scenes, whereas the 2.39:1 ratio is doled out for all the exciting visual stuff."

You sure you don't have that backwards, Aaron? I haven't seen the movie, but I'd imagine that Nolan would reserve the IMAX footage for the exciting visual stuff.

You don't want to film a dialogue scene with IMAX cameras. Those things are loud as a vacuum cleaner.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato72 View Post
Agree with the review, fascinating but exhausting film. I will be picking this one up. The only sin that I saw with the science was
Spoiler
they needed a big multi-stage rocket to get the shuttle off the Earth, but then had no trouble getting back into orbit from the planets they visited.
Not sure if that was about "need" or "fuel conservation".
Old 03-20-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
"The standard 1.78:1 is employed for dialogue-centric scenes, whereas the 2.39:1 ratio is doled out for all the exciting visual stuff."

You sure you don't have that backwards, Aaron? I haven't seen the movie, but I'd imagine that Nolan would reserve the IMAX footage for the exciting visual stuff.

You don't want to film a dialogue scene with IMAX cameras. Those things are loud as a vacuum cleaner.
Clearly this must be a typo. Otherwise, CIH fans like Josh will burn Nolan's
house down to the ground!

Nolan, you f*cked with us just for dialogue-centric scenes!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:45 PM

Peck: "One glaring oversight popped up between the 29:25 and 29:30 marks. In the top left corner of the shot you can see what appears to be a hair or some other obstruction that sits in the frame and moves along with the shot. It isn't overly noticeable, but now that I've called your attention to it, you'll no doubt notice it. It's small, and most likely an symptom of working with film stock (crap in the ap), but nonetheless, it seems like something that should've been taken care of during the transfer."

Kind of wished someone on principle would give this release a Video
score of only 1 star.

5 seconds isn't going to ruin the film, I agree. But sending a message
to the studio and the creative artists who should be passionate about
their craft, that message would mean something.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:06 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I have mixed feelings about this movie. I really like Matthew McConaughey's performance it it, but - as others have pointed out - it's so darn long! Like Nolan's Inception, this movie could have told the same story in about half the screen time.

Without giving spoilers away, I'm not sure we needed this film to have a 'standard villain" who pops up in the second act. It's like the film went from something really smart and really original to just being another "popcorn flick".

Overall though, I still like the movie and will be picking up the Wal-Mart version when it's released.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:12 PM

I'm pretty middle-of-the-road on Nolan. I've liked most of his films, but I'm not gaga for his style and find a lot of them don't really hold up to repeat viewings. But the trailers for this looked like a collection of all the things I don't really like about his films without any of the things I do like. I skipped it in cinemas. The reviews I read all felt like they were pulling punches and going soft on it because of their love for Nolan's other works. Maybe someday I'll watch it. I'm in no rush.

Last edited by Bolo; 03-20-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
Without giving spoilers away, I'm not sure we needed this film to have a 'standard villain" who pops up in the second act. It's like the film went from something really smart and really original to just being another "popcorn flick".
Sunshine 2: The Wrath of Mark Strong