'Unbroken' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2015, 11:12 AM

Default 'Unbroken' - High-Def Digest Review

Daniel has reviewed Angelina Jolie's 'Unbroken'. With exceptional video, audio, and extras, this Blu-ray is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/16603/unbroken.html
Old 03-21-2015, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the thorough review. I read mixed things when it was released in theaters and saw it as shameless Ocscar bait but since I value the opinions on this site, I'll give it a look.

I hate to be that guy but you mention a "Richard" Zemeckis when comparing some of the films elements to Cast Away when its Robert Zemeckis.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:49 AM

Sounds like a winner to me. Not sure when I'll get this, but I'll put it on my want list.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdiaz80s View Post
I hate to be that guy but you mention a "Richard" Zemeckis when comparing some of the films elements to Cast Away when its Robert Zemeckis.
Yes, well...Robert Zemeckis lets me call him "Richard" in reviews...

Thanks for the correction. I blame society for this mistake.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:04 AM

So do any of the Reviewers have an ATMOS set up yet? Can't wait to hear it in my theater...
Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 PM

It funny that a reviewer can review an Atmos movie without owning an Atmos set up. Even funnier is when a reviewer who never even listened to Atmos Enabled speakers can comment: "Don’t even get me started on the highly questionable idea of using a module speaker to “bounce” the sound from the ceiling!" What a smug remark!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:58 PM

Smug, yes...but with good reason. I've been playing around with home theater for nearly 25 years (gulp!), working in the projection booths at my local theatre while I was in high school (all the while dating the Prom Queen, of course) and adapted everything from synthesized surround sound, to Dolby Pro-Logic to Circle Surround to Dolby Digital and so on. I'm all up for improving home theatre sound so long as the upgrade is done without "fads" (the Yamaha surround processors with a gazillion digital effects come to mind) and is technically supportable.

In fact, I've heard Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers in many, many forms. I've heard demonstrations of Dolby Atmos using the "snap" on speakers various companies are trying to sell as a substitute for true, in-ceiling speakers, and the effect is nowhere near the same as properly placed channels. In fact, I think it worsens the overall sound quality because the listener is hearing two sources of what should be discrete sound from a single position on all four sides, despite the module "firing up." Speakers should be matched in quality and build as closely as possible to avoid tonal differences, and the Atmos-enabled speakers simply don't meet those standards.

I refer home theater enthusiast to Mr. Terry Paulin's editorials (see January 2015) from most recent issues of WIDESCREEN REVIEW, who is far more qualified than me to give an expert opinion.

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to upgrade my system to take advantage of Dolby Atmos (or Auro 3D for that matter), but I'm convinced that snap-on speakers are the most compromised way to go.

I admit that "snap-on" speakers are probably better than a soundbar...
Old 03-24-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSLee View Post
Speakers should be matched in quality and build as closely as possible to avoid tonal differences, and the Atmos-enabled speakers simply don't meet those standards.
Really? Andrew Jones Elite speakers use IDENTICAL drivers for the front firing and top firing. How is that not meeting the standards of "should be matched in quality and build as closely as possible"? They are using the identical drivers!!! It can't go anymore "as closely as possible" than that! The same goes with KEF's snap-on and Def-Tech.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:27 AM

I didn't phrase my meaning very well. I meant that the idea of adding on speakers to previously existing home theatre set-ups was not the answer, especially since they are unlikely to be using the same drivers. I am aware that current manufacturers like the ones you mention do sell Atmos-designed systems with the snap-on speakers in mind.

However, it's not just the drivers that I was talking about, but rather the size and build of the cabinet, too. In a perfect world, every speaker would be physically identical and the room treated to avoid standing waves, excessive reflections, and so forth. I realize that is not feasible in most cases, and the idea of placing one speaker on top of another to bounce sound off an opposite flat surface is not an ideal standard at all.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:25 PM

I'm pretty sure at least one of the HDD staff has an ATMOS setup. JoshZ? I'm sure there are a few people here that would like to hear their thoughts, but I'll probably pick this up either way.