'Into the Woods' (2014) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2015, 11:02 AM

Default 'Into the Woods' (2014) - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed Rob Marshall's adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's Tony Award-winning Broadway musical. Here's what he has to say about 'Into the Woods'...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1856...woods2014.html
Old 03-20-2015, 01:42 PM

Didn't like this film at all. Changes from an adaptations are common and I have no problem with that but the changes Disney made here hurt the important second act a lot, removing the power from the message. Also, filmmakers need to stop casting Johnny Depp in musicals; he can't sing to save his life. The direction was too stagey and not taking advantage of the medium and the cinematography was too dark and lifeless, with it mostly comprised of boring, 50mm lensed medium shots. The costumes and art direction are generic.

The only things I can praise in this are Streep and Blunt, especially Blunt, who may not be the best singer, gives a very complex and warm performance to her iconic character. I would go as far as replacing Felicity Jones with her for the Best Lead Actress Oscar.

Overall, very disappointing version of an iconic musical. I'd rather watch Hooper's Les Mis.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBarnill View Post
Didn't like this film at all. Changes from an adaptations are common and I have no problem with that but the changes Disney made here hurt the important second act a lot, removing the power from the message. Also, filmmakers need to stop casting Johnny Depp in musicals; he can't sing to save his life. The direction was too stagey and not taking advantage of the medium and the cinematography was too dark and lifeless, with it mostly comprised of boring, 50mm lensed medium shots. The costumes and art direction are generic.

The only things I can praise in this are Streep and Blunt, especially Blunt, who may not be the best singer, gives a very complex and warm performance to her iconic character. I would go as far as replacing Felicity Jones with her for the Best Lead Actress Oscar.

Overall, very disappointing version of an iconic musical. I'd rather watch Hooper's Les Mis.
I agree with all of this, but it's still watchable for me. I'd give it a 6-7/10. It wasn't the worst musical adaptation, but certainly not the best.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:54 PM

My family and I watched this the day it was released in theaters (12/25/14). This was my son's last high school musical performance before he graduated. We loved it then and we loved the movie. Cant wait to own and see this again.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:54 PM

Watched this tonight with the wife....
Neither of us liked it very much. None of the songs were memorable. And the movie seemed to just move from scene to scene without bothering to show what happened.
Way too many times, we were sitting there saying "wait...BLANK is dead? When!? How? What!??!??"

Overall, we both found the movie to be a convoluted mess. I literally just turned off the TV an hour ago, and if you asked me what happened in the movie, I am not sure I'd be able to tell you.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
Watched this tonight with the wife....
Neither of us liked it very much. None of the songs were memorable. And the movie seemed to just move from scene to scene without bothering to show what happened.
Way too many times, we were sitting there saying "wait...BLANK is dead? When!? How? What!??!??"

Overall, we both found the movie to be a convoluted mess. I literally just turned off the TV an hour ago, and if you asked me what happened in the movie, I am not sure I'd be able to tell you.
I take it that you've never watched the stage production or were familiar with the source material? Can I ask what were you expecting it to be if you were not familiar with the source material?
I know Amazon is filled with people thinking it was a kid-friendly Disney musical and I have no idea where they ever got that idea from, this is a pretty dark musical.

I did miss some of what they cut from the musical but thought overall they did an ok job with it.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I take it that you've never watched the stage production or were familiar with the source material? Can I ask what were you expecting it to be if you were not familiar with the source material?
I know Amazon is filled with people thinking it was a kid-friendly Disney musical and I have no idea where they ever got that idea from, this is a pretty dark musical.

I did miss some of what they cut from the musical but thought overall they did an ok job with it.
That's exactly it, horrible marketing. I too was thinking it was a light-hearted hodge-podge of fairytales in the tone of Disney's latest Cinderella. Also by the TV spots I was not able to even realize that it was a pure musical! Hornswaggled I was!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:02 PM

I bought it and watched it today, and ended up liking it more than my first watch. Lowered expectations maybe? I'd put it firmly at a 7/10.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagaidevil View Post
That's exactly it, horrible marketing. I too was thinking it was a light-hearted hodge-podge of fairytales in the tone of Disney's latest Cinderella. Also by the TV spots I was not able to even realize that it was a pure musical! Hornswaggled I was!
The interesting part is that there are a lot of people blaming "the marketing" yet the marketing they're trying to quote never existed i.e. any marketing showing it as a warm and friendly kid-friendly musical, there wasn't any that said that.