'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' - 2D and 3D High-Def Digest Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-19-2015, 12:40 PM

Default 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' - 2D and 3D High-Def Digest Reviews

E has reviewed the 2D and 3D Blu-ray release of 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'

2D:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1628...ivearmies.html

3D:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1629...earmies3d.html
Old 03-19-2015, 02:50 PM

Definitely the most disappointing movie in Hobbit which is already not as good as LOTR.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:28 PM

Yeah not a strong finish for a great franchise (incl LOTR of course). They REALLY should have kept it as 2 parts. It was painfully obvious that it was stretched for no other reason other than to make it a trilogy. That's my biggest complaint. On it's own though the Hobbit series is enjoyable enough. I'm a completist so I'll get this to round out the set.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:35 PM

Enjoyed it, didn't love it. Prefer the 2nd and 1st releases, but it's still a worthy watch just for the PQ and AQ alone. Felt it was also (can't believe I am going to say this) a little short. Seemed to rush through Thorin slipping into madness and the beginning seemed a little rushed as well. Pushing the movie as fast as possible towards it's final battle.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:46 PM

Loved the film in cinemas. Might have been my favourite of the three, but I'll have to wait for a marathon viewing to be sure. Still, I'm going to hold off for an extended trilogy release before pulling the trigger.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 PM

I liked the first Hobbit....if you took away the first hour, I LOVED it.
I found the second Hobbit to just be boring. It didn't do anything for me.
I outright disliked this final installment. Besides the end scene, I really can't think of anything redeeming about the movie.

It might be a prequel technically...in reality, it's a sequel to (IMO) the best trilogy of all time. So Peter Jackson had to amp up everything to a cartoonish level.

Legolas should not need to spend 20 minutes fighting a single orc! It took me completely out of the movie. The fight was so stupid. These aren't even Uruk...so why are they so big and strong in the first place!? A literal ton of concrete falls on them, and they still get up.

Not a single Dwarf was memorable, so none of the deaths mattered.

The romance between Kate and the pretty dwarf fell flat.

At a glance, the fight between Gandalf/Galadriel/Elrond and the Nazgul is cool...until you think about how it makes ZERO sense in this world. Why do they have super mutant powers in this movie, when in LOTR, they are pretty much really strong men? Oh, I know...cause Peter Jackson had to make shit up to make the movie "cooler".

And the climatic battle between Thorn and One Hand Orc? The absolute stupidest, most cartoony thing yet (and I'm including Radagast!).
Spoiler
So big bad Orc falls through the ice...decides to just...STAY there... hoping that he'll maybe float toward where Thorin happens to be (even though the waterfall is frozen and there shouldn't be a current). Then magically jump straight up through the ice (oh, another character with mutant powers) to kill him? I already disliked this movie....but this made me HATE it. None of this stuff fits in the same world that LOTR took place in.

Lastly, even Howard Shore seemed to have missed the mark with this one. Not a single memorable song to be found (outside of songs taken from the OT). At least the first movie had the fantastic Misty Mountains theme.

I guess I should mention that I did enjoy the VERY end. But only because of my love for FOTR.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:46 PM

Got the 2D steelbook and 3D version pre ordered (Best Buy). Cant wait to see the conclusion of this trilogy.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:29 AM

Like a friend of mine said: "everytime I woke up, they were fighting against a different army".
Old 03-20-2015, 08:36 AM

Would be nice if they put out a 'shortened' version rather than an extended version - perhaps trim the 3 movies down to a single 'best bits' blu-ray offering. I know i'm dreaming
Old 03-20-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M. View Post
Like a friend of mine said: "everytime I woke up, they were fighting against a different army".
LOL that's hilarious

Peter Jackson just got ahead of himself with this trilogy. The cartoon is better from decades ago. I'd rather watch that.