'The Lady from Shanghai' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-16-2015, 11:07 AM

Default 'The Lady from Shanghai' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed Orson Welles' 'The Lady from Shanghai'. He says this exceptional film noir is a visual tour de force. The Blu-ray's 4K video restoration is remarkable, and the lossless audio track is very good. Although there are no extras, based on the film and the strength of the A/V presentation, this Blu-ray is highly recommended.

Full review here;
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1020..._shanghai.html
Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the review, David. Can't wait to pick this up. I've only seen it once, but was fortunate that it was a 35mm print at a revival cinema house. Cheers.

[Edit.] Just ordered my copy!

Last edited by Palmer; 03-17-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:04 AM

This will be arriving tomorrow. I've never seen it before, but I couldn't pass it up, especially if it is at least half as good as Touch of Evil (which I consider to be vastly superior to Citizen Kane).
Old 03-17-2015, 08:59 AM

Orson Welles and Rita Hayworth! I must own this.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:35 AM

Watched this last night.
Hearing Welles in that Irish accent sort of threw me off LOL.

I liked it a lot, and I believe David is correct - this movie definitely calls for multiple viewings. There were times I wish I stopped, rewind, and watched the scene again. But I just wanted to watch it through first.

The opening scene with Rita Hayworth in white dress in the carriage blew me away. Her beauty here is amazing, and Welles filmed it incredibly well. Rita had some sexual tone in her acting. I noticed it in Gilda & Separate Tables. There are scenes here where she is extremely sensual with her voice.
Then there are scenes where she doesn't say anything at all but conveys the message - like when she is lying on a yacht in the moonlight.

It's a shame this is a barebones blu ray. I would have loved some features. The picture quality and audio are great.

It's currently selling for $8.77 on Amazon. This was worth it to me for the multiple viewings.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:08 PM

Glad you liked it! Definitely watch it again, both to clarify the story and appreciate all the directorial nuances. I would love to have seen the original cut, but despite all the edits, I believe the film works incredibly well.

And Rita is just incredible!!