'The Sure Thing (30th Anniversary Edition)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-10-2015, 02:20 PM

Default 'The Sure Thing (30th Anniversary Edition)' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'The Sure Thing (30th Anniversary Edition)'. He say this is a long-standing favorite among romantic comedy fans. This Blu-ray arrives with less-than-satisfying but still quite strong audio and video and some fairly enjoyable bonus features. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1684...ryedition.html
Old 03-11-2015, 11:20 AM

Default Win

Thanks for the write up as I have been looking forward to a Blu on this one for a while. The Sure Thing has always been one of my favorite 80's flicks although it's a little tough to justify why.

I really like most Rob Reiner films so he must have something that appeals to my taste. I still quote lines from this like "Driving with the load not properly tied down" or " "Who invented liquid soap and why."

Glad to see they included a couple feature because I don't believe the DVD had anything.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 AM

Never saw this movie and I always had a thing for Daphne.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
Thanks for the write up as I have been looking forward to a Blu on this one for a while. The Sure Thing has always been one of my favorite 80's flicks although it's a little tough to justify why.

I really like most Rob Reiner films so he must have something that appeals to my taste. I still quote lines from this like "Driving with the load not properly tied down" or " "Who invented liquid soap and why."

Glad to see they included a couple feature because I don't believe the DVD had anything.
Great movie and this (and the great John Hughes) is when the 80's turned a corner with good teen movies. Capped of with Say Anything with (of course) John Cusak. Damn - I adore the 80's.

Edit: 1985 was a watershed year with this and the Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Goonies, etc...
Old 03-18-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris View Post
Great movie and this (and the great John Hughes) is when the 80's turned a corner with good teen movies. Capped of with Say Anything with (of course) John Cusak. Damn - I adore the 80's.

Edit: 1985 was a watershed year with this and the Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Goonies, etc...
YES, I adored the 80s as well. I was in 5th grade in 1985. That was a solid year for movies. Weird Science one of my favorites, I too dreamed of Kelly LeBrock - who looked her finest in that film.

Breakfast Club was just on TV this weekend or prior, amazing film. It's a shame John Hughes stopped short in his work.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Breakfast Club was just on TV this weekend or prior, amazing film. It's a shame John Hughes stopped short in his work.
Stopped short? he pretty much worked throughout the 90's but with diminishing quality, even his work in the 2000's was mediocre IMNSHO, he had lightning in a bottle in the mid-80's and then just didn't get it back. I just wish his later work had been of a higher caliber not lower.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Stopped short? he pretty much worked throughout the 90's but with diminishing quality, even his work in the 2000's was mediocre IMNSHO, he had lightning in a bottle in the mid-80's and then just didn't get it back. I just wish his later work had been of a higher caliber not lower.
Yes he stopped short-
"In 1994, Hughes retired from the public eye and moved back to the Chicago area."

He was young enough to keep on going regardless of whether his later works weren't as good as his prior works. He stopped short-he retired.

I wish he kept going, maybe he could have created some gems like his earlier work.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Yes he stopped short-
"In 1994, Hughes retired from the public eye and moved back to the Chicago area."

He was young enough to keep on going regardless of whether his later works weren't as good as his prior works. He stopped short-he retired.
He stopped directing after Curly Sue bombed in 1991, but he continued to churn out a huge volume of crap as a producer for the next decade: The Home Alone sequels, Baby's Day Out, Dennis the Menace, Beethoven, Flubber, etc. It was clear that he had given up caring about movies and only wanted to make some easy money.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
He stopped directing after Curly Sue bombed in 1991, but he continued to churn out a huge volume of crap as a producer for the next decade: The Home Alone sequels, Baby's Day Out, Dennis the Menace, Beethoven, Flubber, etc. It was clear that he had given up caring about movies and only wanted to make some easy money.
Hey I liked Home Alone 2
Old 03-21-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Exactly where I was going, he made a choice to walk away and produce mostly IMO trash, had he walked away completely after Curley Sue that would be different, instead he just sold out and collected paychecks, that's completely on him.