Attebery is offline Member

Default 'The Room' - High-Def Digest Review

Please welcome Eric Bennett to High-Def Digest! Eric has reviewed 'The Room'. He says this is a film for fans of Razzie movies, or anyone wanting to screen a movie for a group of people and have a blast. He says this is one of the most fun, memorable, and hilarious films he's ever watched. Recommended, with a smile.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8435/the_room.html
    Check out my author website and
    get a free copy of BRICK RANSOM!
    www.mikeattebery.com

mattedscreen is offline HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan

Welcome Eric! Glad I'm not the only one out there who isn't afraid to express their love for 'The Room' - been to see it in the theater no less than a dozen times and have met Tommy and Greg - the movie gets better every time I go to the theater.

I have suuuuuch mixed emotions about picking this up. I have it on DVD already...

Dr Kain is online now Member

It's April Fool's already?

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Welcome to the team Eric.

One odd thing I noticed is anytime the menu loops, the buttons drop out on the main menu and has to be redrawn again.
    Methinks it's like the early dvd days, I seem to recall the mastering tools available were not capable of making a menu in which when you change the active icon, the music continuously plays. They made it so when the icon changed, the music restarted.

Odd that the star of the movie is also the name of the production company. This reinforces my comment above about mastering tools available.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Julian is offline Member

Great review, Eric! Just one but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bennett
    In fact, it seems a quarter of the movie is stock film of San Francisco (...) Not surprisingly, the best shots are the stock footage of San Francisco that Tommy purchased.
    If you read Greg Sestero's excellent hands-on book 'The Disaster Artist', you'll learn that these shots are not stock footage. They are, indeed, shot especially for The Room with Tommy and his third (third!) film crew. After all the dialogue scenes had wrapped, Tommy took them around San Francisco to shot some establishing and mid-establishing (seriously, why have two during the party? We already know where the characters are) scenes. So, no stock footage, but newly created stuff. And, oddly, the best shot scenes from the movies. As long as there's no dialogue (or clarity) needed, Tommy knows how to direct a scene.

Bolo is offline Member

My local independent cinema shows this film every month to huge crowds. I saw it when they first started showing it and people were already shouting and throwing things. Apparently it's now just one long group therapy session in which you can't even hear the movie over people screaming and throwing things.

I recently saw 'Fateful Findings', which I actually found even more mind-boggling than 'The Room'.

ArmenianEric is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Great review, Eric! Just one but ...

If you read Greg Sestero's excellent hands-on book 'The Disaster Artist', you'll learn that these shots are not stock footage. They are, indeed, shot especially for The Room with Tommy and his third (third!) film crew. After all the dialogue scenes had wrapped, Tommy took them around San Francisco to shot some establishing and mid-establishing (seriously, why have two during the party? We already know where the characters are) scenes. So, no stock footage, but newly created stuff. And, oddly, the best shot scenes from the movies. As long as there's no dialogue (or clarity) needed, Tommy knows how to direct a scene.
    Thanks for the info! I (incorrectly) assumed this was stock because it was so different in terms of quality and it just didn't match any other footage in the movie! Correction noted. Looks like 'The Disaster Artist' is my next read...

ArmenianEric is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    My local independent cinema shows this film every month to huge crowds. I saw it when they first started showing it and people were already shouting and throwing things. Apparently it's now just one long group therapy session in which you can't even hear the movie over people screaming and throwing things.

I recently saw 'Fateful Findings', which I actually found even more mind-boggling than 'The Room'.
    'Fateful Findings'?!? Wowsa! Thanks for the recommendation, just saw the trailer on YouTube, and I'm looking for Wiseau in the background...hahah..thanks for my next Razzie!

Julian is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenianEric View Post
    Thanks for the info! I (incorrectly) assumed this was stock because it was so different in terms of quality and it just didn't match any other footage in the movie! Correction noted. Looks like 'The Disaster Artist' is my next read...
    Oh, yes, do read it. It's hilarious!