'The Remaining' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-03-2015, 12:59 PM

Default 'The Remaining' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'The Remaining'. As a low-budget thriller, he says this works quite well. Worth a look. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/15484/theremaining.html
Old 11-23-2015, 02:57 AM
Banned

I enjoyed reading the professional review. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:58 AM
Banned

The Remaining Blu-ray (brief user review)

The Remaining on Blu-ray is a Christian movie that is also sold at Christian online bookstores. The movie is rated PG-13. This is another end time movie based on the prophecies found in the Bible (Revelation and various other books in the New Testament). Christians believe the prophecies found in the Bible are 100% accurate. The Remaining movie contains a rapture scene and is about the fate of the unsaved after the rapture. One thing that I was disappointed with about this movie is that in the rapture scene everyone that is saved by Jesus Christ, has their physical body instantly drop dead and their soul goes to heaven. As far as I am aware, this is the only Christian movie that shows the rapture like this. According to scripture during the bodily resurrection, the believers that have died will rise from their grave with new bodies first just like when Jesus was raised to life again, and then those that are alive will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.

Even though this movie does not follow the Bible exactly it does have a very strong Christian message and Christian worldview. The Remaining movie on Blu-ray is very unique since its like a Christian horror movie. In the movie after the rapture demons are attacking people that accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and later on in the movie the army of God is attacking the unsaved people on the earth as part of Godís judgment. I have never seen a Christian movie that is also considered a supernatural horror film. The movie team did an excellent job with the 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio soundtrack to make some scenes scary along with some low budget visual effects. Even some non-Christians will like this movie because of the horror and survival storyline that occurs after the rapture scene. The bonus features were also enjoyable to watch.

Video comments

The Remaining uses a dual layer Blu-ray disc with 25.5GB of space used out of 50GB. The movie, bonus features, and menu are all 1080P quality. The movie appeared to have an average MPEG-4/AVC bit rate of around 24Mbps for some scenes, while other scenes ranged between 18Mbps-28Mbps+ range . Overall the MPEG-4/AVC 1080P picture quality had excellent color quality and good resolution detail for most scenes. This movie also has some nice deep black scenes. The subtitle options for this movie are: English, English SDH, French, and Spanish.

Audio comments

The Remaining movie contains both an English 5.1 DTS-HD Master soundtrack and a French 5.1 DTS-HD Master soundtrack that is bit for bit exactly the same as the English and French 5.1 PCM studio masters. Also a lossy Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital (640kbps) soundtrack is located on the Blu-ray disc. For the visually impaired a 5.1 English Dolby Digital (640kbps) Audio Descriptive soundtrack is located on the Blu-ray disc.

The English 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio mix sounded excellent with a lot of unique surround sound effects with 360 degree audio occurring in many action scenes. For a low budget Christian movie, this is one of the best audio mixes that I have heard when compared to most other Christian movies.

Special Features

I am a fan of audio commentary tracks, and I was disappointed that no audio commentary track was created for The Remaining movie. The main menu uses MPEG-2 codec with a resolution of 1080P (also the audio for the main menu is studio master 2.0 LPCM). All the main special features use the MPEG-4/AVC codec with 1080P resolution (Note: some of the 1080P movie trailer previews use the MPEG-4/AVC codec while others use the MPEG-2 codec). The Deleted Scene: Tommy Apologizes to Jack lasts 1 minute and 48 seconds (English 2.0 Dolby Digital 192kbps). The Divine Revelations: Making The Remaining lasts 19 minutes and 44 seconds and I found this extra feature to be very interesting (English 2.0 Dolby Digital 192kbps). There is also several 1080P previews of other Christian movies that use both the MPEG-4/AVC codec and MPEG-2 codec with 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Conclusion

The Remaining movie is an excellent Christian movie that can also be called a Christian horror movie. There are some scenes that follow the Bible prophecy scriptures while other scenes in the movie that use artistic license that is different from the Bible. The MPEG-4/AVC 1080P picture quality was good and the English 5.1 DTS-HD Master soundtrack was above average quality for a Christian Blu-ray release. In addition, the bonus features were enjoyable to watch. Those Christians that like rapture movies and who also grew up watching secular horror monster movies, might really enjoy this Blu-ray release.