The Problem with Warner Soundtracks - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-02-2007, 04:54 PM

Default The Problem with Warner Soundtracks

I am sure you have all noticed that when releasing a HD-DVD, Warner puts uncompressed sound or Dolby True or other soundtracks on almost all of them. Yet, on Blu-ray, they are the same old compressed dolby digital 5.1 soundtracks. Examples:

HAPPY FEET HDVD dolby true HD blu-ray old 5.1 compressed
SUPERMAN RETURNS hd-dvd: Dolby True HD blu-ray: Dolby Digital compressed
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA: on hd-dvd: Dolby True on Blu-ray: compressed 5.1
THE COWBOYS on hd-dvd: dolby dig.plus on blu-ray: old 5.1 compressed
BATTLE OF THE BULGE: on hd-dvd dolby dig.plus blu-ray old 5.1 compressed
SUPERMAN DONNER CUT & reeve original movie: dolby gitital plus for hd dvd, and regular compressed for blu-ray
CASABLANCA...hd:dvd Dolby Dig. Plus on blu-ray old dd compressed

These are just a FEW examples. I think it's highly unfair to do this since Blu-ray is capable of 4 different new soundtracks that would sound much better uncompressed. I even feel the classic movies would sound better, even mono films.

Does anyone know the reason for this, and how do we let Warner know we demand the better sound along with the better picture? We all need to make a statement, so I thought I would start this thread and get it going. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTWISTER View Post
Casablanca isn't out on BD and no-one really knows why Warner don't start unleashing uncompressed soundtracks on BD.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I am sure you have all noticed that when releasing a HD-DVD, Warner puts uncompressed sound or Dolby True or other soundtracks on almost all of them. Yet, on Blu-ray, they are the same old compressed dolby digital 5.1 soundtracks. Examples:

SUPERMAN DONNER CUT & reeve original movie: dolby gitital plus for hd dvd, and regular compressed for blu-ray

These are just a FEW examples. I think it's highly unfair to do this since Blu-ray is capable of 4 different new soundtracks that would sound much better uncompressed. I even feel the classic movies would sound better, even mono films.

Does anyone know the reason for this, and how do we let Warner know we demand the better sound along with the better picture? We all need to make a statement, so I thought I would start this thread and get it going. Thanks.
First of all, Warner has never put uncompressed audio on their HD DVD releases, just a couple BD ones like The Departed, Blood Diamond and 300 and as for Dolby TrueHD, there's only around 30 or less Warner titles that have it. Second, Dolby Digital Plus is still a compressed lossy codec; think of it as Dolby Digital on steroids. In fact it's technical name is E-AC3 having evolved from AC-3 which is regular Dolby Digital.

Yes, there is some disparity among the audio on a few BD and HD DVD releases with the HD DVD getting preferential treatment and that's a stubborn decision that Warner has made due to them being HD DVD exclusive before either format was released and they're trying to make it up to majority of their high def market (BD) supporters by releasing lossless on both formats with all their newest releases.

But, the titles you mentioned that are on both formats i.e. Battle of the Bulge and Superman the Donner Cut have matching audio even though the BD has AC-3 and the HD DVD has E-AC3 (a requirement of that format) because they are both 640kbps and no one has ever heard a difference between the two codecs at equal bit rates.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:08 AM

Ok, tonight I got some results. Warner Brothers called me back, and they had one of the people in the home video department give me an email to send the complaint too, and they will read the letter and decide who takes care of these decisions on the soundtracks included....and he/she would get back to me. So, progress, I will let you know.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:

Add We Are Marshall to that list!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:22 AM

A Dutch DVD site, www.dvd.nl, had contact with Warner and Warner told them that they will start using high resolution audio on Blu-ray on all the new releases. They [Warner] stated they find both formats [Blu-ray and HD DVD] equally important, but we all know they secretly favor HD DVD. Bastards.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:

I got the Japanese BD edition of Happy Feet and it has an English PCM 5.1 soundtrack
Old 08-03-2007, 07:11 PM

So here in the USA only...hmmmm....Canada is old compressed but they must get the same as we do. I guess it pays to live overseas (hehe).