'John Wick' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-26-2015, 01:00 PM

Default 'John Wick' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'John Wick'. This is one of his favorite movies from 2014. (He was as surprised as you!) With exceptional video, audio, and extras, this is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/14753/johnwick.html
Old 01-26-2015, 02:41 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

JOHN WICK harkens back to some of the great action flicks of the mid-80s. It's perhaps a LITTLE overrated by most, but it's a heck of a lot of fun and definitely a comeback for Keanu Reeves.

It's one of those movies I don't plan to watch over and over, but one I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to...there's some interesting "world building" going on here that's fun to watch.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:08 PM

I absolutely felt in love with this movie, really.

This is what a DAMN BADASS is.

He waste no time no words no nothing, he just goes BAM BAM takes out the bad guys.

I am tire of those movie that wants to give some redeemen quality to these "good guys", he is not good, neither are them, I am here to Kill and that is exactly what I do.

Spoiler
That is Why the only stupid thing in the whole movie I Didn't like was that he let the girl lives, I understad he was respecting the free zone hotel, and then the girl gets killed because he violated the club, but he could have taken the girl out or something

Is the same story with bad guys, I just want so bad to see an action movie where you really f%&/ hate the bad and love it the same time.

A guy who takes hostages and BAM kills them every 10 minutes, he is bad, he has nothing to lose, like are you going to give me what I want? no, BAM.

Now? no BAM. Make nuclear bomb explode kill a million.

I know I sound sadist but I am very far away from that, is just that I get disconected when I see a bad guy like hesitating.

Real bad guys are worst, mexican cartels are no joking, neither those ISIS guys who decapitated those innocents.

So I am at a point when I want the good guy really destroy those bad bad people.

John Wick was really good for me because of that, I liked the Equalizer a lot for the same reason.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
JOHN WICK harkens back to some of the great action flicks of the mid-80s. It's perhaps a LITTLE overrated by most, but it's a heck of a lot of fun and definitely a comeback for Keanu Reeves.

It's one of those movies I don't plan to watch over and over, but one I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to...there's some interesting "world building" going on here that's fun to watch.
Old-school action with new-school filming techniques. Although, I would contend that it is more related to martial arts movies like 'The Protector.' With the way it is filmed and edited. Especially, the editing.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 01-26-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertX View Post
John Wick was really good for me because of that, I liked the Equalizer a lot for the same reason.
I'm not sure I understand this reasoning. 'John Wick' and 'The Equalizer' actually go to great lengths to imbue their anti-heroes with redeemable qualities. John Wick loved his dying wife, and was emotionally attached to the dog his dying wife gave him. So, it's understandable that he goes to such great lengths to right the wrong. I mean, his biggest speech in the movie is about hope and losing hope after the dog died.

Robert McCall is kind to everyone around him. Develops personal relationships with people and then decides to help them, because he can. Both of these characters have much more depth than you're giving them credit for.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Old-school action with new-school filming techniques. Although, I would contend that it is more related to martial arts movies like 'The Protector.' With the way it is filmed and edited. Especially, the editing.
I don't think you understood what I wrote, maybe because of my English.

What I said about John Wick and the Equalizer is that both these guys go out there, to kill, to have vengeance, they go and they kill, I mean they are not trying to save as much people as possible.

In many new action films, these "good" guys like give shots to the guys he falls and that's it, they don't, they KILL them, they make sure those guys are dead, he shot almost twice every bad guy, one to the chest one to the head.

They don't kill the least possible amount to get to their objetive, au contraire, they kill as much people as possible to avoid any kind of unnecesary complication.

Then the thing about the bad guys, was a different talk, I meant to say that the guys the bad guys in movies are meh.

Think in a movie like The Rock, I was all the damn movie thinking FIRE ONE OF THOSE DAMN MISSILES ALREADY Kill thousands and show you are for real, but then they always give some kind of good side to their fight.

There are bad guys with freaking nuclear weapons and I ask what the hell are you waiting for? If you threatens with nuclear weapons you think that there is any other possibilitie for you than be killed? If you are bad BE DAMN BAD, you have NUCLEAR WEAPONS, USE THEM (understanding one that he is the BAD guy who wants to kill everyone, and second is a movie I don't want anyone using a Nuclear weapon.

The Sum of all Fears is probably one of the few movies were the Bad guys actually Kill the people and you deal with the aftermath.

In the end the Threath in all those action movies becomes useless because you know the good guy is going to save the day. Why can't the good loose in the sense that he yes catches the bad guy, but he already got his objective, make the good guy deal with the aftermath.

Let's say a bad movie like 2012 (I think that was the name of the Emmerich Movie) yeah is nice seiing the destruction, but sometimes, just sometimes I would like more to see how the world deals with what just happened.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:06 PM

Ok, I think I understand what you're saying. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:28 PM

God dam this movie was a lot of fun. Watched it over the weekend, loved it.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:34 PM

Great movie!!!
I hope they venture forth and maybe examine the mythos of the hotel, and the coins.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaccountof View Post
Great movie!!!
I hope they venture forth and maybe examine the mythos of the hotel, and the coins.
That sounds pretty cool. I was wondering how they could make another movie besides going with a prequel bit.

~~This isn't The Departed, but definitely one of the best movies of 2014. IMO this is Keanu's best movie since the Matrix, and right up there with Point Break (not the same kind of movie, but if you make a top5 for Keanu movies this is up there).