'Fright Night: 30th Anniversary Special Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-22-2015, 01:20 PM

Default 'Fright Night: 30th Anniversary Special Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Fright Night: 30th Anniversary Special Edition'. Here's what he thought.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1451...aledition.html
Old 01-22-2015, 01:43 PM

Based on the comparison pics, despite the higher encode, the contrast really changes the skin tones, where the red coloration in the skin tones seem to have been turned into more of a white, making several characters look anemic. Amy's hair also changes to a frosty gray, probably similar to how she looks thirty years later.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:20 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I don't own the earlier version, but going solely on the screenshots, I prefer the contrast boost this version (which I did buy) got.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:40 PM

Great movie! Chris Sarandon is absolutely fantastic as the "vampire", and Roddy McDowall is perfect as a washed up TV horror movie host. Well worth a watch (or 2, or 3.....)
Old 01-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

With the brighter picture, it looks like you're actually gaining a bit of detail as well. We have seen time and time again where brighter washes out detail.

The million dollar question - does the version from amazon.de use the 2014 or 2011 transfer? I happen to have both so do i open up the .de release and leave the TT sealed? Yeah I realize the de release has lossy audio.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 PM

I actually like the screenshots for the 30th anniversary edition more (although both look very good). The review doesn't really state what the commentaries are like. Hopefully they're different from each other and offer a lot of good info about the production.

Still waiting for my copy (along with Breaking Away) to ship out from Screen Archives. Very slooooooow. After shipping costs and the US to CDN conversion rate, I spent about $85 on the two items . Brings me back to the days when I was buying some HD DVD/DVD combo discs for $39.99. Hopefully these two blu-rays from Twilight Time are worth it though. And these movies (especially this special feature filled edition of Fright Night) better not be released somewhere else in the world for a fraction of the cost or I'll be PISSED!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
With the brighter picture, it looks like you're actually gaining a bit of detail as well. We have seen time and time again where brighter washes out detail.

The million dollar question - does the version from amazon.de use the 2014 or 2011 transfer? I happen to have both so do i open up the .de release and leave the TT sealed? Yeah I realize the de release has lossy audio.
Oh, just open the Twilight Time edition and watch and enjoy it. You only live once!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post

Received my copy today and I am debating the same thing.

Spoiler
Old 01-22-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
I actually like the screenshots for the 30th anniversary edition more (although both look very good). The review doesn't really state what the commentaries are like. Hopefully they're different from each other and offer a lot of good info about the production.

Still waiting for my copy (along with Breaking Away) to ship out from Screen Archives. Very slooooooow. After shipping costs and the US to CDN conversion rate, I spent about $85 on the two items . Brings me back to the days when I was buying some HD DVD/DVD combo discs for $39.99. Hopefully these two blu-rays from Twilight Time are worth it though. And these movies (especially this special feature filled edition of Fright Night) better not be released somewhere else in the world for a fraction of the cost or I'll be PISSED!
i'm in canada as well, i only got this movie but yeah in the end i paid around 40 dollars for this after all the shipping and exchange rates. its a lil much but who knows when or if someone else will get the rights and release it cheaper. plus there's a load of extras this time so i don't feel bad missing out on their first release. paying 40 for a barebones release would feel worse. that said, i did exactly that for their Blob remake last year. :P
Old 01-23-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
i'm in canada as well, i only got this movie but yeah in the end i paid around 40 dollars for this after all the shipping and exchange rates. its a lil much but who knows when or if someone else will get the rights and release it cheaper. plus there's a load of extras this time so i don't feel bad missing out on their first release. paying 40 for a barebones release would feel worse. that said, i did exactly that for their Blob remake last year. :P
I hear ya. Plus, check out eBay and how much they're going for. It's insane! There was no way I was passing this release up. I just hope I get mine shipped out soon. Have they shipped your copy out yet? And does anyone know what kind of shipping method they use? Standard? Expedited?