'Gone Girl' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-20-2015, 02:05 PM

Default 'Gone Girl' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed ‘Gone Girl’. He says the movie is "alternately dazzling and maddening, true and preposterous, exhilarating and deflating." The Blu-ray similarly favors style over substance, offering an exceptional technical presentation, but only an audio commentary in way of extras. This is worth watching at least once.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/15778/gonegirl.html
Old 01-20-2015, 02:10 PM

Neil Patrick Harris has the best line in this movie.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Neil Patrick Harris has the best line in this movie.
Holy shit, he's in this movie? Now I am not hitting myself for not buying this last week.
I find NPH over rated and intolerable.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
...and how he refused to commit to helming 'Gone Girl' until he received a firm commitment from Fox that the trailer wouldn't ruin the twist.
Yet I was able to figure out the twist because of the trailer. Or maybe it's because I was expecting a twist since it's a Fincher mystery movie.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:36 AM

I really liked this movie and consider it Fincher's best movie since Fight Club, although I really yearn for a more satisfying ending.

I really feel sorry for those who find this to be a deconstruction of a modern marriage, as my wife and I don't find marriage that hard at all... and we've been married for 8 years and together for 12. We both struggle to understand comments like "it just perfectly captures the essence of a modern marriage" about this film, since it in no way reflects our reality. We don't really fight and both understand the concept of compromise, which is neither difficult nor overpowering. My enjoyment of the movie was more for the mystery thriller aspect of it, rather than commentary on modern marriage. I love the way he portrays the media in the film though.

On another note, I find it interesting that David presents Revolutionary Road as an example of a marriage deconstruction done right, as that is my go-to movie when needing to exemplify how movies can be well-made but still awful when presenting nothing but dislikable characters in a dislikable narrative. (and again, both my wife and I don't find it a representation of marriage as we know it)

Moving on, I must give credit to Tyler Perry, whom I have always discarded as just some Eddie Murphy wannabe with his Madea movies, but he brought a real charisma to the screen in this role, and I look forward to seeing more of Perry in serious roles (I won't be going to low as to watch Alex Cross, mind you).

For those who find NPH overrated, don't fret too much, as he is not overly present in the movie, and its an interesting role regardless of the actor playing it. And seriously, if one actor is enough for you to avoid a film, then how do you watch anything at all?

Last edited by CriticalMass; 01-21-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
Yet I was able to figure out the twist because of the trailer. Or maybe it's because I was expecting a twist since it's a Fincher mystery movie.
The twist comes from Gillian Flynn's novel and her subsequent screenplay. It doesn't have anything to do with it being a Fincher movie.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 01-21-2015, 04:24 PM

I found this movie to be excellent and surprisingly fun, which is not necessarily an attribute of David Fincher's films in most cases. Having Flynn write her own adapted screenplay was the best possible idea; even though this movie was my first exposure to her stuff, after reading Sharp Objects and Dark Places I can retroactively see how her voice needed to be HER voice for this to work, and in lesser hands than Fincher's, this could have been a corny ham-fisted mess. As a huge Affleck fan it is nice to see him doing great work in a worthwhile project, which lately is becoming the norm. Everyone in this is pretty great, actually.

The gripes people have about the story are not completely unfounded, but the third act going "off the rails" is a little hyperbolic, especially considering crazy shit happens all the time in real life. I just sat back and enjoyed watching it play out...I love it when talented people go to work, even if the product isn't perfect (not that it ever is).
Old 01-21-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
I really liked this movie and consider it Fincher's best movie since Fight Club, although I really yearn for a more satisfying ending.
^^^this^^^ I mean...really??
Old 01-21-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaccountof View Post
^^^this^^^ I mean...really??

Care to elaborate on your vague attempt at contempt? What is it you take issue with... 'Finchers best movie since Fight Club' or 'a more satisfying ending'?
Old 01-22-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
Care to elaborate on your vague attempt at contempt? What is it you take issue with... 'Finchers best movie since Fight Club' or 'a more satisfying ending'?
He HAS made some pretty damn good movies since Fight Club...