'On Golden Pond: Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Default 'On Golden Pond: Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'On Golden Pond: Collector's Edition'. He says it just gets better with age... Your age. If you don't connect with this film now, you will one day. The Blu-ray and the movie are recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/14498/ongoldenpond.html
Old 01-16-2015, 01:35 PM

Excellent review, David. I've had this one on pre-order since early November. Can't wait to finally get it next week. Kinda wish that retrospective documentary was on this blu-ray, but the special features that there are seem decent enough.

I can't remember now, but did the Artisan DVD have a 5.1 dolby digital track? I thought it did.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:44 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I had this film on the old RCA Videodisc format when I was a kid...my parents bought it for themselves, but I was the one who wound up watching it over and over...I think it's my favorite Henry Fonda performance.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:40 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

David, I loathed this movie in the 80's. It was played on HBO almost marathon style (alternating with Driving Miss Daisy if I recall) for awhile and I do not recall ever making it even halfway through. Ya may be right, I may be crazy (just kidding) - but a revisit may be in order. No blind buy for me, perhaps streaming first then go from there.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:56 PM

Great writeup David. It has been YEARS since I have seen this but I expect I will enjoy it more this time around than the last.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 PM

Why has no one mentioned that while this disc apparently has a mono soundtrack, a 5.1 track was available in the Special Edition DVD???? Why wasn't that added to the BD?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluLuver View Post
Why has no one mentioned that while this disc apparently has a mono soundtrack, a 5.1 track was available in the Special Edition DVD???? Why wasn't that added to the BD?
I mentioned that...post #2.... Don't know why it wasn't added to this release. Kinda strange when you figure that a lot of their other releases contain a 5.1 track (especially some of their lesser known horror titles).
Old 02-21-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
I mentioned that...post #2....
Oh, yeah I was referring to all of the many reviews I've read about this release. Not one reviewer commented on it.

About the track itself I only recall making sure I had the 5.1 soundtrack selected, and it did sound better to me than the old mono.

Guess we have to wait until 2021 for the 40th anniversary edition. Which will also be in 8K and 3D no doubt!