'Left Behind' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-12-2015, 12:33 PM

Default 'Left Behind' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Left Behind'. He says this isn't a very good movie, but it's far from deserving of the pans and dismissals it received from most critics. Give this one a rent.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/15715/leftbehind.html
Old 01-12-2015, 04:52 PM

Unfortunately this 'remake' from Cloud Ten pictures was truly a case of lightning NOT striking twice. The whole family felt the film was a let down and that the 2000 flick with Kurt Cameron was much better overall (even though FX budget was low). Very little emotional drive and character development. Feels like a mediocre 'Airport' movie rather than a theological thriller. As Shannon mentions trimming the plot to conclude right after the Rapture removes much of the emotional and spiritual payout. I don't agree with pre-trib Rapture theology but was hoping for a bit better out of producer Paul Lelonde's stable. Last years' 'God's Not Dead' way better for the Christian audience and for end times apocalypse stuff check out Nicolas Cage in the the very underrated and excellent thriller 'Knowing'.

As a side note the bluray rental had some issues playing in my older Sylvania player...so Q/A on the authoring of the disc is suspect (see Shannon's issues.)
Old 01-12-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwcaw View Post
....and for end times apocalypse stuff check out Nicolas Cage in the the very underrated and excellent thriller 'Knowing'.
Dumbest film EVER.
I mean, logic and reason had no place in that 'story' whatsoever.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:18 PM

When do the good Christians begin to use those cruciatus guns on the evil non-believers?
Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 AM

The original sucked ass and you want people to at least what this one once?
Old 01-13-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Neutrality View Post
Dumbest film EVER.
I mean, logic and reason had no place in that 'story' whatsoever.
Curious to what specifically you had issues with?
Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 AM

Shoot, it lost my original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
The original sucked ass and you want people to at least what this one once?
The original was actually pretty good as far as Christian films are concerned. It was a bit slow, but it setup the second and third films, which were excellent. Truthfully, I would love to see Blu-Ray releases of those!

I will probably pick up a copy of this for my mom. She came to visit me in October and was really wanting to see this, but we had to walk out of the theater after 15 minutes because the movie was not closed captioned, and the audio listening devices were screwed up in that auditorium. The theater gave us Readmit passes, and let us go watch The Maze Runner.

Truthfully, though, with the bit I saw (I was constantly running back and forth, getting the Theater Manager and devices until they finally moved us to another movie), I have no desire to see this again. The acting was horrible (even Cage's), lighting and camera work looked amaturish, sound design was all front heavy, editing was bad and directing dismal. Why are Chistian films always so low budget? I mean, there is an audience there - shoot, God's Not Dead made $60 million domestically, and Son of God made $59 million domestically. Why did Left Behind make so little? I believe this is because they spent their entire budget on Nicholas Cage, and nothing on writers, directors, camera men, lighters, shaders, sound designers, special effects or the rest of the cast, and this lead to a mediocore movie (even by Christian movie standards) and bad reviews. Shoot, I bet they could have gotten Kirk Cameron to reprise his role for a fraction of what Cage's salary was, and spent some money on the rest of the project.

I wouldn't say what I saw was BAD, but it was certainly mediocore and cheap-looking, even by Christian movie standards
Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Banned

I enjoyed this Left Behind remake on Blu-ray and the bonus features. Yes it was low budget. Some low budget movies are also good movies.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I knew I was in trouble when I see the cover art with Nick Cage giving us an Elvis look.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 PM

Yeah, sorry gravis, but I can not agree. The whole concept is just stupid to begin with.