'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 7' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2015, 12:45 PM

Default 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 7' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 7'. He says the final season hits Blu-ray with great audio, strong visuals, and a nice assortment of extras. This is very highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5236...ek_tng_s7.html
Old 01-09-2015, 03:41 PM

This is....Very late >_> Season is pretty solid, as I recall from my watch last month.

I'm surprised they've not mentioned whether they're working on DS9. Pretty sure these sets have sold pretty well, and DS9 is similarly popular, it seems a no-brainer that they'll work on it at some point?

TBH, I'd be tempted to get Voyager in spite of owning it on DVD. That's actually my fave Star Trek, though I know many Trek fans turn up their noses at it for some reason.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:56 PM

Did the review mean to say that it played up the CardassiNs for the benefit of DS9 instead of Voyager since DS9 follows TNG and has a large Cardassian presence?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite View Post
Did the review mean to say that it played up the CardassiNs for the benefit of DS9 instead of Voyager since DS9 follows TNG and has a large Cardassian presence?
No - Aaron is correct. Remember the Voyager Pilot dealt with Janeway's ship pursuing the Maquis - how the two ships got thrown into deep space and they had to come together once in the Delta quadrant. The Maquis of course being anti-Cardassian terrorists.

SOD: Yes they will naturally make DS9 on Blu - I give you one reason why. 1) I have begun watching DS9 from the beginning on Netflix. It's my bedroom tv (otherwise I'd dig out the dvds) so I am not diving into is seriously as I would a Blu Ray in the HT.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:04 AM

yeah but the Maquis are such a small element of Voyager. and the Cardassians themselves even less so. I'd say that DS9 set up Voyager by introducing the Maquis at the end of season 2. Where the Cardassian occupation of Bajor were set up in TNG and were a central element of DS9
Old 01-10-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
I'm surprised they've not mentioned whether they're working on DS9. Pretty sure these sets have sold pretty well, and DS9 is similarly popular, it seems a no-brainer that they'll work on it at some point?
DS9 is nowhere near as popular as TNG. The show will also be much more difficult to restore than TNG, because most of the visual effects switched to CGI in the later seasons. They were rendered in standard-definition at the time, and would need to be recreated from scratch at a higher resolution.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:46 AM

Re-rendered, sure, but a good amount of footage might exist in a usable form. There was an article on TrekCore from May 2013 where they interview the former Senior CG Supervisor from one of the houses that worked on DS9. He said that most of the CG files for their work was still available. Not only that but he says that at least all the work his shop did (there were 2 main shops that handled DS9's CG) was overbuilt for SD video so they have enough detail to hold up in HD. He also rendered a frame from one of his DS9 source files in HD for the site. It really looked pretty cool. Hardly confirmation that DS9 is coming to blu ray but it certainly is welcome news.

I keep thinking that while DS9 and Voyager might not be as popular as TOS and TNG, but they do make up half of Star Trek's presence on tv (DS9 + Voyager = 14 seasons, TNG + TOS + ENT + TAS = 15 seasons). Now, tv resolutions aren't gonna get smaller and that seems like an awfully large hunk of very lucrative francinse that they will no longer be able to monetize in the future should they not restore it.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
DS9 is nowhere near as popular as TNG. The show will also be much more difficult to restore than TNG, because most of the visual effects switched to CGI in the later seasons. They were rendered in standard-definition at the time, and would need to be recreated from scratch at a higher resolution.
Wow bummer.

You are correct, DS9 was no way as popular as TNG but here's a weird thing. While TNG was my favorite Star Trek show, I thought DS9 was better written and had a better overarching story that spanned the seasons. While I will probably never own TNG on blu ray, as I've seen them so many times and they are always on TV, I MAY buy DS9 just experience that story again.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite View Post
yeah but the Maquis are such a small element of Voyager. and the Cardassians themselves even less so.
The maquis are half of Voyager's crew, no?
Old 01-10-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
The maquis are half of Voyager's crew, no?
I'd say they constitute no more than maybe a dozen (maybe 30 at the absolute most) or so members. There is Chakotay, B'elanna, Seska, and a few others that I can think of, and it's implied there are more we never see (at least not identified as being Maquis). Their ship was much smaller than Voyager too, and Voyager only had a crew between the low and mid 100's (~110 to 14X I thought), though some of those died.