'Horns' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2015, 03:22 PM

Default 'Horns' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Horns'. He say film is entertaining thanks to an excellent performance by Daniel Radcliffe. With excellent audio and video presentations, the Blu-ray is worth a rental.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/15122/horns.html
Old 01-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Just a heads up (and excuse my French) - If you're looking to buy this at your local Walmart, the fuckheads that decide which movies to bring in each week have opted to pass on the Blu Ray release. So either crank up the dnr and sharpness and enjoy the low-def dvd on your big screen, support Amazon (via our links) or opt for it at your local Best Buy or Target. The Walmart issue could be a thread in itself but let's remain on topic here : )

The fact that E gave this 3 Stars means there is hope for some entertainment as he's usually dead-on with my taste for movies, and I have ordered the Zavvi Steelbook. Living in Steven King country, I am surprised I had never heard of his son who is also a writer, thanks for the trivia tidbit E.
It being a Starz/Anchor Bay release, am not surprised by the pesky region lock (thanks assholes) but that soon enough will just be a minor inconvenience as I have to press a couple extra buttons on the remote.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:56 PM

I agree mostly with the review, and also was unaware that the source material was written by King's sprog.

The lack of explanation behind the horns and/or the 'supernatural' happenings associated with them, along with a slightly inconsistent feeling between the age of the actors and their juvenile actions (particularly during the climax) really prevented this film from being a great experience. As it is, its interesting and glossy, but after two viewings I really just feel empty... with no real understanding of the 'reality' of this world.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:20 AM

I read the book when it came out a few years back. The book i thought was a bit mixed up itself with inconsistent direction on what the story was to be humor, dramatic, and or all supernatural. My fav moments in the book was the back story between his buddy and his girlfriend. Got a chance to meet Joe Hill a few years back in Austin, TX at a Horror Convention. Looks like his dad and a very nice guy. Still need to watch my copy to see if they did the movie better than the book. I keep crossing my fingers that one day they make his Heart-Shaped Box into a movie. One of my all time favourite books i have read and highly suggest people do so too. (sticks to the supernatural/dramatic element)
Old 01-09-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBob View Post
I read the book when it came out a few years back. The book i thought was a bit mixed up itself with inconsistent direction on what the story was to be humor, dramatic, and or all supernatural. My fav moments in the book was the back story between his buddy and his girlfriend. Got a chance to meet Joe Hill a few years back in Austin, TX at a Horror Convention. Looks like his dad and a very nice guy. Still need to watch my copy to see if they did the movie better than the book. I keep crossing my fingers that one day they make his Heart-Shaped Box into a movie. One of my all time favourite books i have read and highly suggest people do so too. (sticks to the supernatural/dramatic element)
Heart Shaped Box is on my kindle to get to eventually, I really enjoyed Horns though as a book and as a movie, they changed up enough things to streamline out some of the more obscure stuff that didnt make a whole lot of sense, while still keeping with the mystery of the Horns and why they even showed up, I mean the character has no clue why and would probably never find the truth out really so we are along for the ride ourselves not knowing and I like that about the book and the movie. They both had their WTF? moments but of course the book is a bit better at those.

But I was super impressed with Radcliffie's performance in this one and he's gone away really nice from Harry Potter, I see that its on sale for $12.99 from Amazon, probably gonna go buy this one now