'Boyhood' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Attebery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,716
Default 'Boyhood' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven Cohen has reviewed Richard Linklater's 'Boyhood'. He says the film's ambitious twelve-year production captures the passage of time and delivers a deeply emotional and resonant experience. With excellent video and audio, and a handful of worthwhile extras, this Blu-ray is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/13332/boyhood.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2015, 03:50 PM
theHDphantom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,418
Default

Geez; I totally forgot this comes out tomorrow. I kept my Futureshop.ca steelbook pre-order (yes, the one with the ugly artwork). After reading your review Steven, I'm looking forward to seeing this film even more now. Would of been nice to have a commentary track from Richard Linklater, but I think that Q&A with him and the cast make up for it. Great review!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Stormshadow4life's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 353
Default

This was one of my most anticipated movies of 2014....and came away very impressed with the scope of the project, but utterly un-moved by this overly long and incredibly mundane film.
Also, the kid's acting abilities seems to decrease as he ages.
I think I would have enjoyed it more had they shaved off a good 30-60 minutes
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2015, 12:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 36
Default

Does anyone know if the digital copy included is itunes, VUDU or both?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Julian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 855
Default

Excellent movie, excellent review. I wonder why they haven't included any deleted scenes, as I'm sure they filmed a lot more than what we see during the 12-year scope.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Super-VHS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Excellent movie, excellent review. I wonder why they haven't included any deleted scenes, as I'm sure they filmed a lot more than what we see during the 12-year scope.
According to Linklater, very little was cut from Boyhood. There were some alternate takes, but time constraints (the cast/crew only came together for a few weeks, each year) and budget meant most of what he wrote and shot is in the finished film.

Linklater basically had 11 months of prep before each annual shoot. He "edited" the film on the page and cut scenes before anything actually went in front of the camera.

Supposedly, there is a big making of documentary, which I assume was held back for the eventual Criterion release.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM
theHDphantom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Supposedly, there is a big making of documentary, which I assume was held back for the eventual Criterion release.
Ugh. Figures. I was wondering why there wasn't a making-of documentary on this release. I mean over 12 years, you'd think someone would be doing some behind the scenes recording. I definitely won't be double-dipping though. I'm getting tired of the Criterion re-releases. They should just make a deal with the studio and have the Criterion release be the only release (well, for North America that is).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Julian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
According to Linklater, very little was cut from Boyhood. There were some alternate takes, but time constraints (the cast/crew only came together for a few weeks, each year) and budget meant most of what he wrote and shot is in the finished film.

Linklater basically had 11 months of prep before each annual shoot. He "edited" the film on the page and cut scenes before anything actually went in front of the camera.

Supposedly, there is a big making of documentary, which I assume was held back for the eventual Criterion release.
Thanks! That I did not know.

If I remember correctly, Linklater wanted Criterion to actually release this first. No idea why that didn't work out. Studio politics, probably.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2015, 10:31 PM
theHDphantom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Thanks! That I did not know.

If I remember correctly, Linklater wanted Criterion to actually release this first. No idea why that didn't work out. Studio politics, probably.
I sent my ugly steelbook back to Future Shop. It was broken anyway, so I lucked out. I'll just pick up the regular blu-ray when it hits the $10 mark. Heck, I'll more than likely get the Criterion release when it comes out too...whenever that'll be. I'm patient though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2015, 11:59 PM
darkash's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
I sent my ugly steelbook back to Future Shop. It was broken anyway, so I lucked out. I'll just pick up the regular blu-ray when it hits the $10 mark. Heck, I'll more than likely get the Criterion release when it comes out too...whenever that'll be. I'm patient though.
Wow, you're right. That is one ugly cover.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Monster High: Welcome to Monster High' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 3 11-11-2016 03:40 PM
'Boyhood' (Criterion) - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 12 11-02-2016 11:43 AM
Boyhood (Future Shop Exclusive Mondo X SteelBook) (VARIANT Edition) (Blu-ray) (2014) theHDphantom SteelBook / Iron Pack 6 02-22-2015 01:49 PM
High-Def Digest's Holiday Gift Guide 2014: All the Best Blu-rays and High-Def Goodies Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 2 11-15-2014 11:20 AM
'Boyhood' is up for preorder Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 08-06-2014 02:19 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off