'Boyhood' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2015, 11:11 AM

Default 'Boyhood' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven Cohen has reviewed Richard Linklater's 'Boyhood'. He says the film's ambitious twelve-year production captures the passage of time and delivers a deeply emotional and resonant experience. With excellent video and audio, and a handful of worthwhile extras, this Blu-ray is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/13332/boyhood.html
Old 01-05-2015, 03:50 PM

Geez; I totally forgot this comes out tomorrow. I kept my Futureshop.ca steelbook pre-order (yes, the one with the ugly artwork). After reading your review Steven, I'm looking forward to seeing this film even more now. Would of been nice to have a commentary track from Richard Linklater, but I think that Q&A with him and the cast make up for it. Great review!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:59 PM

This was one of my most anticipated movies of 2014....and came away very impressed with the scope of the project, but utterly un-moved by this overly long and incredibly mundane film.
Also, the kid's acting abilities seems to decrease as he ages.
I think I would have enjoyed it more had they shaved off a good 30-60 minutes
Old 01-07-2015, 12:19 AM

Does anyone know if the digital copy included is itunes, VUDU or both?
Old 01-07-2015, 11:42 AM

Excellent movie, excellent review. I wonder why they haven't included any deleted scenes, as I'm sure they filmed a lot more than what we see during the 12-year scope.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Excellent movie, excellent review. I wonder why they haven't included any deleted scenes, as I'm sure they filmed a lot more than what we see during the 12-year scope.
According to Linklater, very little was cut from Boyhood. There were some alternate takes, but time constraints (the cast/crew only came together for a few weeks, each year) and budget meant most of what he wrote and shot is in the finished film.

Linklater basically had 11 months of prep before each annual shoot. He "edited" the film on the page and cut scenes before anything actually went in front of the camera.

Supposedly, there is a big making of documentary, which I assume was held back for the eventual Criterion release.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Supposedly, there is a big making of documentary, which I assume was held back for the eventual Criterion release.
Ugh. Figures. I was wondering why there wasn't a making-of documentary on this release. I mean over 12 years, you'd think someone would be doing some behind the scenes recording. I definitely won't be double-dipping though. I'm getting tired of the Criterion re-releases. They should just make a deal with the studio and have the Criterion release be the only release (well, for North America that is).
Old 01-13-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
According to Linklater, very little was cut from Boyhood. There were some alternate takes, but time constraints (the cast/crew only came together for a few weeks, each year) and budget meant most of what he wrote and shot is in the finished film.

Linklater basically had 11 months of prep before each annual shoot. He "edited" the film on the page and cut scenes before anything actually went in front of the camera.

Thanks! That I did not know.

If I remember correctly, Linklater wanted Criterion to actually release this first. No idea why that didn't work out. Studio politics, probably.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Thanks! That I did not know.

If I remember correctly, Linklater wanted Criterion to actually release this first. No idea why that didn't work out. Studio politics, probably.
I sent my ugly steelbook back to Future Shop. It was broken anyway, so I lucked out. I'll just pick up the regular blu-ray when it hits the $10 mark. Heck, I'll more than likely get the Criterion release when it comes out too...whenever that'll be. I'm patient though.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
I sent my ugly steelbook back to Future Shop. It was broken anyway, so I lucked out. I'll just pick up the regular blu-ray when it hits the $10 mark. Heck, I'll more than likely get the Criterion release when it comes out too...whenever that'll be. I'm patient though.
Wow, you're right. That is one ugly cover.