'Tusk' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-29-2014, 11:44 AM

Default 'Tusk' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Tusk'. He says even the most die-hard Kevin Smith fans won't know what to make of this. You can skip it.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/13866/tusk.html
Old 12-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Administrator

I actually really liked this movie. A lot!

My Best,
Bryan Kluger
www.boomstickcomics.com
Old 12-29-2014, 01:36 PM

I can understand disliking this movie and Guy Lapointe's overlong scenes kill momentum are awkward & just don't work, but the full walrus costume reveal was just so perfect. I think that you assume Kevin Smith didn't want the costume to look stupid, but I'm assuming that he did, I laughed my ass off but then I also felt sorry for the poor bastard too. You mention in the review not being a fan of gore & that's fine but I think that maybe it takes a love of gore & an ability to laugh at the disturbing in order to appreciate that ridiculous suit.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:08 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by apemilkbuddha View Post
I can understand disliking this movie and Guy Lapointe's overlong scenes kill momentum are awkward & just don't work, but the full walrus costume reveal was just so perfect. I think that you assume Kevin Smith didn't want the costume to look stupid, but I'm assuming that he did, I laughed my ass off but then I also felt sorry for the poor bastard too. You mention in the review not being a fan of gore & that's fine but I think that maybe it takes a love of gore & an ability to laugh at the disturbing in order to appreciate that ridiculous suit.
Well, if the suit was supposed to look ridiculous, then mission accomplished. It doesn't change my opinion about the overall film, however.

As for not being a fan of gore, there's hardly any in the movie, so I would suspect horror fans would be let down by that fact...I could be wrong.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:34 PM

Default After listening to Smodcast

I thought he wanted to make a real horror movie. I couldn't believe he actually shot that last scene. It we just stupid. He needs to put the bong down.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:29 AM

Kevin Smith seems to have "checked out" as a filmmaker, so I've "checked out" as a fan. I used to love the guy, be he's undeniably gone downhill. For me, Clerk 2 was fantastic - but then he made Cop Out, a movie whose title perfectly explains Smith's action of making the movie. Don't even get me started on Red State. What a jumbled mess. Smith isn't the only reason that I don't want to see Tusk though. Didn't we already see this movie twice under the "Human Centipede" label?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hickman View Post
Kevin Smith seems to have "checked out" as a filmmaker, so I've "checked out" as a fan. I used to love the guy, be he's undeniably gone downhill. For me, Clerk 2 was fantastic - but then he made Cop Out, a movie whose title perfectly explains Smith's action of making the movie. Don't even get me started on Red State. What a jumbled mess. Smith isn't the only reason that I don't want to see Tusk though. Didn't we already see this movie twice under the "Human Centipede" label?
I gave up on Smith several years ago as well. He always seems to have great ideas, but falls short on execution.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:41 PM

I loved Red State for one. I must say this movie did disappoint. Felt like a Human Centipede rip off with some odd humor mixed in. I'd much rather have just seen a Human Centipede remake with Michael Parks as the crazy dude.

And yeah it was kind of entertaining until that last scene. So much wrong with the logic of that scene I wouldn't know where to begin.