'The Guest' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 PM

Default 'The Guest' - High-Def Digest Review

Michael S. Palmer has reviewed 'The Guest'. He kinda loves it. With excellent video and audio, along with a DVD and Digital HD copy, this release is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/15036/theguest.html
Old 12-23-2014, 12:38 AM

This felt like it was made a couple years before 'You're Next'. There is a different DoP and it shows. This movie just looked like it was more incompetently made, sophomoric. I expected more from the director.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:33 PM

Saw today. It was a very fun movie....I had no idea it was by the same guys as You're Next...until the Halloween party where I saw the mask. Then I was able to recalibrate my expectations from "serious horror" to "fun horror" and had a much better time as a result!

Personally, I enjoyed You're Next a little more, but this was still a a really fun movie (with a fantastic soundtrack!)
Old 01-05-2015, 02:34 AM

I have seen this twice now and really enjoyed it on both occasions. I love the 80's vibe coming off both the production and the music itself, and the way the pace escalates exponentially as the film moves on, with the final line of the movie defining exactly what I enjoy about following this character (no spoilers... just go watch it!).

I definitely prefer The Guest to You're Next, however YN was fairly overhyped by the time I got around to watching it (was just ok as both a horror and comedy). In contrast, there is no universe I can imagine where a film like The Guest would be considered a horror movie. At best it is a throwback to 80's mysterious stranger movies, but certainly feels like a contemporary take on the tale.

I would have liked a little more backstory filled in, however the mystery behind David it is a large part of the appeal, which made me want to revisit it, and thoroughly enjoyed it a second time.

4 Stars
Old 01-06-2015, 10:50 AM

Default It was definitely good but needed more

I personally really enjoyed this movie. My only real complaint is that we certainly needed more info/backstory on what happened to david before the movie starts. It would have gone a long way of making you care more for what was happening.

Certainly well done and with an awesome soundtrack. Of all the references listed below I have to admit the one movie this felt the closest too is Stepfather. It was a very nice take on that story.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:52 AM

"I don't know if I like this movie, but I kinda love it." sums it up for me.

Watching it I kept thinking of "Driver" from "Drive" like the Director wanted his own version of Ryan Gosling's character. The soundtrack was excellent and just wish redbox had the Blu-ray version. Will be buying it when it drops in price.

Spoiler
I rewound the "Stevie B. scene" a few times, loved it!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:32 AM

Rented this and just watched it.

Tons of fun. Almost didn't want to see it. Being called a horror film is not
right for this film. I've seen enough horror/slasher flicks that I wasn't
interested. Guess I'm getting too old for those kind of films, but after
watching the Guest, I want to see the director's previous work, You're
Next.

And describing it as Drive didn't appeal to me either. The 80's stuff makes
the comparison fair, but Dan Steven's character is so much more nuanced
with both charm and menace than Ryan Gosling's blank-stare Drive
character.

I would describe this as the Bourne movies gone wrong. This is a story of
what might of happened to Matt Damon's buddy that was in the same
Spoiler
military brain-washing program.

I didn't get why Dan Steven's character would drive his escape car
Spoiler
right into the oncoming car and kill the dad. I get that he killed the mom,
because she was threatening him by revealing his position. But killing the
dad just because he was driving back made no sense. And in doing so, it
would disable his escape vehicle while he is being pursued?! Maybe fire
his gun at the dad's car. Maybe disable the dad's car so that it obstructs
the road and enables Dan Steven to flee. But driving into oncoming traffic
and destroying both cars was stupid.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:59 AM

I finally got around to seeing this and enjoyed it. I also felt it wasn't quite as electric as 'You're Next', but it was a lot of fun. I have never seen this Stevens bloke before, but his performance carried the movie.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:51 AM

This is such a fun action movie. It's as if they said "let's take cousin Matthew from Downton Abbey and turn him into the ultimate badass" and see if it works. It does, beautifully.