'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' & 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 3D' HDD Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 AM

Default 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' & 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 3D' HDD Reviews

Michael S. Palmer has reviewed the 2D and 3D Blu-ray releases of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Both versions are highly recommended. Read his review for all the details.

2D Review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1339...oftheapes.html

3D Review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1339...theapes3d.html
Old 12-03-2014, 12:02 PM

I blind bought the Metalpak from Best Buy yesterday. Unfortunately, something came up and I had to stop the film about an hour in...but I was digging it!

It felt like a zombie movie, but with out the overplayed zombies (basically, a survival movie). I'll save my comments till I see the whole thing, but in general it's very fun.

Having only watched the first of the original films (VERY long ago), I'm not toooooo familiar with them, but you can tell they are referencing the original score, which I think is very cool. It's one of those things that is familiar because of cultural references...like hearing the score from Patton, being used in The Simpsons, before I actually saw the film.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I blind bought the Metalpak from Best Buy yesterday. Unfortunately, something came up and I had to stop the film about an hour in...but I was digging it!
I bought the metalpak from Future Shop's website. Should be in the mail this week. How does it look? Nice inside artwork?

Also about the review; How is the commentary track? Is it a good, lively commentary?
Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM

just picked mine up, was a big fan of the first one and this one
Old 12-03-2014, 02:06 PM

I saw this in the theater and remember how engrossed the entire audience was in the story and hangging on every momment as to what might happen next. Never a chuckle at the fact that they were all CGI apes. Just a really good story. My pick for best movie of the year (pending Hobbit Pt.3). Looking forward to cranking this Blu-ray up this weekend.

P.S. Oh and I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet either so pending that as well.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
I bought the metalpak from Future Shop's website. Should be in the mail this week. How does it look? Nice inside artwork?

Also about the review; How is the commentary track? Is it a good, lively commentary?
I called it a steelbook elsewhere on this forum, and I was corrected, told it was a Metalpak...but honestly I don't know the difference very well. The case is of a nicer construction than my Target exclusive Bournes...which I think are steelbook. I dunno.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:22 PM

No Atmos again, no sale.The Atmos effects in the theater were some of the best I'd heard. Stupid that this release doesn't have Atmos, it would be a no brainer for demo material.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I called it a steelbook elsewhere on this forum, and I was corrected, told it was a Metalpak...but honestly I don't know the difference very well.
MetalPak and SteelBook are trademarks of two different manufacturers. The cases are made of a different type of metal and have slightly different construction. MetalPaks have a hinge in the middle of the spine, whereas SteelBooks have a superior spine design.

In most cases, MetalPaks are also more prone to scratches and dents, though recent cases may be better in that regard. I don't mean to imply that MetalPaks can't be nice on their own, but when given the choice, most collectors prefer Steelbooks.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post

Quite good. I listened to it while writing my review yesterday. Matt Reeves is a natural speaker and quite good at conveying his and his collaborators' intentions for scenes and sequences.

The Best Buy metal pack (not sure if it's the same as yours) is quite nice; the artwork matches the paper slip cover of the other edition and features a nice flat black augmented by the silvery (not painted?) finish on Caesar's war-paint face.

The one thing to note is that, there is a piece of paper glued (lightly adhered with a non-permanent adhesive -- not sure what to call it other than "glue") to the rear of the case that folds over the top and onto the front. To open the case, you must either remove the paper all together (peal off the easily removable glue from the front and back) or peal off the glue on the front only leaving the rear attached, and the front loose. Or, i suppose, you could unstick the paper from the front-glue each time you wanted to open the case, and then reapply it.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:03 PM

Nice to know that the commentary track is a winner. I look forward to listening to it after watching the film for the first time.

That glue which keeps the paper write-up/info thingy attached to the actual steelbook (or in this case, metalapk) should be taken off completely IMO. I found (in a lot of steelbook releases) that after a while there's a splotch mark that seeps through the paper write-up which makes it looks like a grease stain. Same thing with the steelbooks/metalpak as well; a greasy mark can potentially stay on the packaging and it's a real b*tch to get off (if you're lucky to even get it off). My advise: take those sticky pieces completely off and throw them away!