'Guardians of the Galaxy' & 'Guardians of the Galaxy - 3D' - High-Def Digest Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-26-2014, 09:18 PM

Default 'Guardians of the Galaxy' & 'Guardians of the Galaxy - 3D' - High-Def Digest Reviews

Michael S. Palmer has reviewed the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Blu-rays. He says this movie is an absolute blast.

2D:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1330...thegalaxy.html

3D:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1330...egalaxy3d.html
Old 11-27-2014, 02:22 AM

Very nice review!!! Can't wait to own this and watch it for the first time!! Looking forward to it.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:22 AM

I sometimes wonder if others are actually watching the same disc as me?!!

Seriously though, I guess I can understand why, technically, it's notched up 5 stars for PQ, but like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the overall "sheen" of the presentation is flat, lifeless, and somewhat "washed out" to my eye.

I'm not pining for Michael Bay type eye scorching contrast, but I'm really not enjoying the way some recent releases are looking. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Before anyone asks, yes, I have quality AV equipment including a large, precisely calibrated screen.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo 5150 View Post

Seriously though, I guess I can understand why, technically, it's notched up 5 stars for PQ, but like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the overall "sheen" of the presentation is flat, lifeless, and somewhat "washed out" to my eye.

I'm not pining for Michael Bay type eye scorching contrast, but I'm really not enjoying the way some recent releases are looking. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Before anyone asks, yes, I have quality AV equipment including a large, precisely calibrated screen.
A precisely calibrated 42" Insignia LCD just ain't gonna cut it, dude.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by signia76 View Post
A precisely calibrated 42" Insignia LCD just ain't gonna cut it, dude.
I don't really don't know how to respond to this to be honest.

If you want to have an actual debate about my post, feel free to get back to me. If not, then... umm... "ho ho", thanks for your highly amusing and devastatingly witty sarcasm- it was "awesome dude".

For your information, I have never heard of Insignia LCD's - but I'll presume they're a budget brand in the country of your residence. A brand you can use to "shame" others with no doubt.

Last edited by Cabo 5150; 11-28-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:08 PM

Not the best movie I've seen in 2014....but quite possibly my favorite.
I'm not a Marvel fan (I like Iron Man 1 and Thor 1), so I loved that they finally made one that simply stands on its own without forcing the tie-ins (well...it did have the Thanos scenes).
But what really set it apart from the other Marvel movies is the heart. This movie had boat loads of it. And for me, it bumped it from a "fun" movie, to a "favorite" movie!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:27 AM

One of the best movies of the year and certainly better than Avengers.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:24 AM

Just to be clear, I was commenting on the visual look of the film - not the film itself. I really enjoyed the movie, a solid 3.5/5 for me.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Just to be clear, I was commenting on the visual look of the film - not the film itself. I really enjoyed the movie, a solid 3.5/5 for me.
3.5 out of 5 sounds about right. Not the best Marvel movie out there, but still very entertaining. Can't wait to get my 3D steelbook copy.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:

I really for the life of me can't understand this kind of opinion.

And I don't mean you are wrong I just don't get it.

For me the PQ quality talks about the fidelity of the image compare to the source.

Michael Bay Crush Colors or the lifeless and somewhat washed colors have nothing to do with the quality of the disk, maybe you can critisize that for the film, but not from the Blu Ray, and what you call whased colors a lifeles is a matter of taste, but I could understand you dont liking it.

For me a movie that represents exactly the movie as is intended to be merits a 5.

Based on what you said what PQ should we give to the blu ray editions of movies like Planet Terror? or Death Proof? Those movies are made that way on purpose, and I can say they look bad THE MOVIES but the Blu Ray is 5 in video quality.

What about 300 with all the grain?

Don't take me wrong I understand you don't like the look of the movie but I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the transfer I separate them.