Re-recording Near-field Mixes for Dolby Atmos Blu-rays - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 AM

Default Re-recording Near-field Mixes for Dolby Atmos Blu-rays

HDD's Michael S. Palmer was invited to Dolby's Burbank Laboratory for an in-person demonstration given by Atmos re-recording sound mixer, Tim Hoogenakker, and to watch 'The Expendables 3' on Blu-ray in their Home Theatre room. Here's the scoop on what's involved when making sure the theatrical experience and the home entertainment experience match.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...-blurays/19537
Old 11-24-2014, 12:40 PM

So, they actually DID mix Hercules in ATMOS, yet decided not to use it? Is Paramount going to make people double dip?
Old 11-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
So, they actually DID mix Hercules in ATMOS, yet decided not to use it? Is Paramount going to make people double dip?
Actually, I'm not certain on this. In the room, Dolby said "every Blu-ray title released on Atmos so far", but implied there were more that were mixed and not yet announced. When I wrote the article, I had in my mind it was only Transformers and Step Up, but didn't want to make a mistake and assume, so I went to check it out and saw Hercules listed on a press release for Atmos Titles Announced. But of course, duh, it arrived with a 7.1 DTS-HD MA encoding.

So I adjusted the article to fix this and clarify: I have no idea whether or not Hercules went through the Atmos-for-home near-field re-recording. Paramount remained mum on the switch from Atmos to DTS saying (paraphrasing) they plan to support Atmos theatrically, but there was no comment re: Blu-ray.

Cheers.

Last edited by Palmer; 11-24-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:47 PM

My new theater room will have Atmos. Because of a "soffet" which drops the ceiling to accommodate vent ducts and other pipes, I'm considering the front Atmos speaker being in the ceiling at 8ft, but the rears built into the back of the soffet, so they will be 7ft high. Will this seriously hurt the Atmos sound, or can EQ adequately account for it?

Yes I realize no one may yet have these answers lol.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:55 PM

From the review:

Quote:
It was also fun to demo individual objects (ie, no other sounds or music) like a helicopter as it whirred around our heads.
Did you ask Dolby if it was possible for them to post some test/demo material so that those that have invested in Atmos could use tracks like this to tune their setups?

Something simple like some pink/white noise that would pan through the various channels, or perhaps a musical note or sound that would travel the hemisphere so that people could judge how well they have their speakers placed.

They wouldn't even have to produce and distribute a disc. Just putting out the tracks on a server would be enough for people.

And, of course, it would be nice for them to make an ISO of their CEDIA demo disc on that server.

Any chance you could forward that request on to your contacts at Dolby? If they need a list of people that would be interested, it would not be a problem to get a list of interested parties...
Old 11-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
My new theater room will have Atmos. Because of a "soffet" which drops the ceiling to accommodate vent ducts and other pipes, I'm considering the front Atmos speaker being in the ceiling at 8ft, but the rears built into the back of the soffet, so they will be 7ft high. Will this seriously hurt the Atmos sound, or can EQ adequately account for it?

Yes I realize no one may yet have these answers lol.
Shouldn't be that big of a deal.

You'll be able to run a room EQ and/or adjust speaker-to-listener distance as you would any other speakers. Plus, think about theatrical Atmos environments. Many of those involve stadium-style seating which alters the distance from listener to speaker on a row-by-row basis.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigScreen View Post
From the review:

Did you ask Dolby if it was possible for them to post some test/demo material so that those that have invested in Atmos could use tracks like this to tune their setups?

Something simple like some pink/white noise that would pan through the various channels, or perhaps a musical note or sound that would travel the hemisphere so that people could judge how well they have their speakers placed.

They wouldn't even have to produce and distribute a disc. Just putting out the tracks on a server would be enough for people.

And, of course, it would be nice for them to make an ISO of their CEDIA demo disc on that server.

Any chance you could forward that request on to your contacts at Dolby? If they need a list of people that would be interested, it would not be a problem to get a list of interested parties...
I haven't played around with too many Atmos AVRs -- is there no white noise generator built-in for Atmos in the same way it is for eight channel configurations?

Also, there's little to no chance Dolby will release any of their CEDIA or other demonstration discs publicly, limitations are often set by their contract(s) with content creators.

However, I sent a note to Dolby to ask about the possibility of a setup file or disc.

Cheers.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I haven't played around with too many Atmos AVRs -- is there no white noise generator built-in for Atmos in the same way it is for eight channel configurations?
Atmos AVRs piggyback off the calibration tools built into the receiver, such as Audyssey or MCACC, which will measure distances, set levels and adjust EQ for all channels.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Atmos AVRs piggyback off the calibration tools built into the receiver, such as Audyssey or MCACC, which will measure distances, set levels and adjust EQ for all channels.
That's what I thought. Therefor you wouldn't need a Dolby-specific setup disc to calibrate automatically or manually.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

One minor issue with the article, you forgot to link Expendables 3 in the 3rd paragraph.

The Atmos trailer youtube video was interesting in that my Soundblaster Cinema layer handled it quite well with my 2.1 PC setup here.