'The Expendables 3' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Default 'The Expendables 3' - High-Def Digest Review

We took a field trip and reviewed the Dolby Atmos track on The Expendables 3 Blu-ray. Here's what we thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1347...endables3.html
Old 11-23-2014, 07:20 PM

Has anyone tried Expendables 2 with an ATMOS setup, to see how the matrix mixing for DTS NEO:X sounded on ATMOS equipment? Needing an 11.x (7.x.4) ATMOS receiver to get the best sounds from ATMOS, to me, is a disappointment, because of the high costs. It's hard for me to justify getting a 9.2 ATMOS receiver right now, much less an 11.x channel receiver, which is why I've decided to hold off buying an ATMOS receiver for now.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:35 PM

You have mentioned that Expendables 3 is 3rd Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos sound.
I know TF4 is 1st one. Then which is the second..?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran View Post
You have mentioned that Expendables 3 is 3rd Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos sound.
I know TF4 is 1st one. Then which is the second..?
Step up all in.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:04 PM

i totally plan on getting this as i enjoyed it very much as well. but i am disappointed to hear about the unrated version. i was totally hoping for a lil more blood, especially during the train sequence. seeing those guys just get knocked over by the cable, i figured the unrated would have them actually get cut in half!!

but sounds like a good package so i shall get this for sure!!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:55 PM

This was absolutely the worst Expendables movie thus far. Which is saying something considering the other two weren't great either. It's like they took the playbook for Fast and Furious 3 (aka Tokyo Drift) and applied it to the franchise. Except that since this is Stallone's vanity project, he stuck around. They quickly remove all the established characters, flipped the one remaining character into a prick and then added some generic young blood to "freshen up" this stale mess. And Banderas who was mildly amusing but ultimately just added to the stupidity of the whole thing.

I swear that the commercials referred to this movie as the last one. It's disappointing to hear they have both 4 and 5 in the works. They need to either return to the established characters from the first two (and the R rating) or pull the plug on this tired old mess. Here's hoping that Expendaboobs or whatever mildly offensive name they came up with for the all female spinoff is at least dead and buried. Some fossils are better left in the ground.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Should be noted that this version is the unrated edition (in response to the "Given the first PG-13 rating for an ‘Expendables’ movie" comment.)

With that being said, what was added to make this the unrated version?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Should be noted that this version is the unrated edition (in response to the "Given the first PG-13 rating for an ‘Expendables’ movie" comment.)

With that being said, what was added to make this the unrated version?
It says right in his review, nothing was added except some extended scenes, no blood or extra violence was put back in, which is disappointing, after the greatness of the first two films when it came to the body count and over the top violence, this was highly lacking in that department. The movie was still a blast though but its hard to NOT have violence like that in this kind of movie, its what those 80s action movies always had, so the throwback loses some serious luster because of it.

I'm all up for some more of these, but Lionsgate better hold on better to their movies next time or it will again tank at the box office because of leaks, well that and the PG-13 rating I think helped dig its hole too
Old 11-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Don't get me wrong, there is tons of violence and tons of bad guy deaths. There just isn't any over-the-top blood or guts thrown on the camera lens.

My Best,
Bryan Kluger
www.boomstickcomics.com
Old 11-24-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
Step up all in.
Oh well that's a movie that'll benefit from it huh.