'Batman: The Complete Television Series (1966)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-21-2014, 05:41 PM

Default 'Batman: The Complete Television Series (1966)' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Batman: The Complete Television Series (1966)'. He says this should please most Bat-fans out there, and make a few new ones in the process. The episodes convey a sense of fun that is completely missing from modern-day superhero storytelling, as well as plenty of nostalgia, considering all the actors that popped up during the series' three-year run. This set is a must own.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1290...eries1966.html
Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

At least now we know why Shannon has been away for awhile - reviewing a 3000+ minute tv series that's why. Regarding legal hurdles, we all know money cures all so the question is, how much did it cost to get the rights to do this series, every single episode (??) Imagine being that one holdout because you're an asshole and know that the set would be incomplete without your consent.

Regarding Video - I had read somewhere that for tv the studio jacked up the brightness hardcore, so Shannon's comment about the episodes being "brighter" might need to be reworded as technically they're less bright, more natural (unless you got your backlight turned up to 11.)

Audio - wasn't the show recorded on a tape, so lossless may have if anything picked up the imperfections if anything? Warner is probably trying to justify using DD but even on recent films it has been a copout excuse so it would be interesting to hear all the details.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:08 AM

4 stars? I'm sorry, but that is just, insulting. The only thing missing from modern day super hero storytelling is the dumbass garbage camp that does not belong there in the first place. This is definitely a score that is based on nostalgia rather than a legitimate review. If you like the series, fine, but that does not mean you can just jack up the score because you grew up on it. It should be graded on how the show is in its writing, character development, and accuracy to the comic characters, none of which this series has. Hell, the Joker does not even actually kill people or do anything to show he is a psychopath.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:37 AM
Banned

Being insulted by a grading system on a website over a TV show based on comic books...........and I thought that genesim guy had issues. "accuracy to the comic book characters". You HDD reviewers better make sure you read every damn book before reviewing the movie version because it NEEDS to be accurate!!!
Old 11-22-2014, 09:15 AM

The show is rated on its own merits. It's not the comics. It's the campy Batman series. Rating it based on something it isn't would be absolutely ridiculous.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
The show is rated on its own merits. It's not the comics. It's the campy Batman series. Rating it based on something it isn't would be absolutely ridiculous.
Sorry, I let my hate for this show get the better of me in that post. I definitely do not think this show deserves anything higher than a 2 because it just isn't that good of a show to begin with. The silliness is over the top. The effects and costumes are god awful. The acting is pretty bad from everyone outside of Frank Gorshin, especially from Adam West. He is the William Shatner of Batman. The is no character development and Catwoman just race swaps without any rhyme or reason.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Sorry, I let my hate for this show get the better of me in that post. I definitely do not think this show deserves anything higher than a 2 because it just isn't that good of a show to begin with. The silliness is over the top. The effects and costumes are god awful. The acting is pretty bad from everyone outside of Frank Gorshin, especially from Adam West. He is the William Shatner of Batman. The is no character development and Catwoman just race swaps without any rhyme or reason.
The show wasn't designed to do any of that. It is good for what it aimed for.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
The show wasn't designed to do any of that. It is good for what it aimed for.
Exactly. Personally I hate the show but it's great at what it sets out to do, camp.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
4 stars? I'm sorry, but that is just, insulting. The only thing missing from modern day super hero storytelling is the dumbass garbage camp that does not belong there in the first place. This is definitely a score that is based on nostalgia rather than a legitimate review. If you like the series, fine, but that does not mean you can just jack up the score because you grew up on it. It should be graded on how the show is in its writing, character development, and accuracy to the comic characters, none of which this series has. Hell, the Joker does not even actually kill people or do anything to show he is a psychopath.
Shannon made a very accurate reference to the time it was in high syndication in the 70's: if you were a kid like me at the time, you didn't see Batman as parody. This was some real exciting action, which kept us all on the edge of our seats until the next episode (whether that came during the next half-hour rerun, tomorrow, or next week).

And, this is largely because Batman in the comics was NOT the gloom & doom vigilante that Miller wouldn't write for another 15-20 years. Batman & Robin in the comic books pretty much spoke & acted like they did in the TV show.

I also agree with Shannon on how refreshing it is to see today. I recently saw a repeat (the first I'd seen in YEARS), and it was fresh from a whole new perspective. Yes, it's outlandish & comical...but, let's face it: as much as today's "Gotham" TV show is trying to be serious & grim, it's underpinnings are just as outlandish & comical. An ENTIRE police force (all but 3 people) working for Falcone? Every Batman villain ('young versions') interacting with Jim Gordon long before Batman ever dreamt of stalking the streets at night?

Gotham is high-camp in disguise as 'broodingly dark realism', without the balls to be just Adam West Batman openly high-camp.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:17 PM

Gotham sucks ass. I stopped watching it. Instead of being a cop drama with great characters, it was being written just to say, "Hey, these are Batman characters you should like them."

Last edited by Dr Kain; 11-30-2014 at 11:09 AM.