Why does only Blu Ray gets all the extras and good stuff ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-17-2014, 01:02 AM

Default Why does only Blu Ray gets all the extras and good stuff ?

And DVD buyers are shafted and barely given anything extra? I get it that they want us to upgrade to Blu Ray format but its still expensive in developing countries like India where most people still use CRT TVs.One exception is Peter Jackson because he gives lots of DVD extras in his movies like both Hobbit 5 disc extended edition versions so i always buy those.But no other film company is giving any audio commentaries, making of film and other good stuff anymore in DVD versions anymore since blu ray has become popular.
Do you think its fair to DVD buyers? I want the companies to support both DVD and Blu Ray equally and give equal amount of extras the only difference being one is standard def and other is hi-def.Don't try to forcibly push people onto Blu ray by not providing any decent extras.
Please let me know your thoughts about this.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:34 AM

I'm torn on the issue. On one hand I completely understand why the studios are saving money by putting out movie-only DVDs. Because of BD's higher storage capacity, they are able to include more features on a single disc, whereas with DVD they would likely need to produce 2-disc sets to include all of the bonus features. They figure that the real film buffs have upgraded to BD by now and the people who are still hanging on to DVD don't care. As you have demonstrated, you are the exception. But you are probably also the minority (i.e., film buff who wants extra features but cannot upgrade to BD). It is what it is, fair or not. You'll get BD eventually. In the mean time, I would not buy very many DVDs if you plan to upgrade.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:45 AM

What I don't get is why people complain about media, but then will gladly keep a toaster..a car...all that and not care about the upgrades.

Models change...formats change.

DVD's are still being made, but they are the inferior format. You get what you get.

Yes last years model can appear to be more enticing, so keep what you got and just enjoy the movie. DVD's are on their way out. Sales are declining while Bluray keeps growing. Of course there may be another format (like 4K bluray), but so what. My movie collection still plays, and that includes those great old DVD's.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:49 AM

Releasing bare bones DVDs is an old ploy to encourage people to upgrade to Blu-ray. Unless the DVD is a single layer then most of the time all the special features will fit (like they have in the past).

But since Blu-ray is now declining as well, and on a rate nearly equal to DVD (since July Blu-ray has actually declined more than DVD by percentage) there's no reason anymore to short change DVD loyalists.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesim View Post
What I don't get is why people complain about media, but then will gladly keep a toaster..a car...all that and not care about the upgrades.

Models change...formats change.

DVD's are still being made, but they are the inferior format. You get what you get.

Yes last years model can appear to be more enticing, so keep what you got and just enjoy the movie. DVD's are on their way out. Sales are declining while Bluray keeps growing. Of course there may be another format (like 4K bluray), but so what. My movie collection still plays, and that includes those great old DVD's.
This is untrue. Blu-ray is not growing, it is declining, and just as much as DVD is. DVD releases over 10000 titles a year, compared to a little over 2000 for Blu-ray. That is a massive difference in output that will likely never go away. Sure the top 20 release Blu-ray market share creeps up a couple percent every year (while the rate of that "creeping up" is declining). But not a small part of that reason is because of the included DVD in Blu-ray SKUs. If you take away the DVD buyers who future proof then the Blu-ray share would be even lower than the pathetic 31 percent it is now (up from 30.5 percent last year, whoop-de-doo).

Blu-ray has a huge disadvantage in terms of viability for lessor titles. The are fewer Blu-ray lines and they are more expensive and discs costs more to produce. Furthermore, the Blu-ray format cannot utilize BD-R discs like DVD can with DVD-R. For example Warner alone has released over 2000 catalog movies on DVD-R in the last 5 years. They won't release them on BD-R, so that means everything has to be pressed and with that most movies aren't viable anymore.

Bottom line, both formats have their advantages but never think that BLu-ray is ever going to replace DVD (that may have been the original intent though). It is merely a high-end supplement to DVD. They will live and die together.

Last edited by bruceames; 11-17-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:15 AM

Everyone is moving to streaming. blu ray is almost a niche market now. A shame really as streaming is not near the quality of blu ray. I love my blu ray and will continue to purchase them.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Everyone is moving to streaming. blu ray is almost a niche market now. A shame really as streaming is not near the quality of blu ray. I love my blu ray and will continue to purchase them.
Streaming is really hurting the viability and sales of catalog on Blu-ray. But sales of catalog on Blu-ray have never been that great anyway (except for a few tentpoles and Disney titles).

Most of Blu-ray sales comes from new and recent releases, so streaming has no effect on that since it only becomes available for streaming well after the sales cycle on disc (and now, Digital HD) has run its course.

What is starting to eat into Blu-ray sales more than anything is the 2 week window advantage for Digital HD. And that's the reason why the Blu-ray decline is approaching DVD levels. New releases are only a portion of DVD's revenue and so is not nearly as affected by new release on Digital (which is up a whopping 75 percent this year, while digital sales as a whole is only up 33 percent).
Old 11-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

The world households in general are highly saturated in cheap big screen hi-def tvs now and even in off-season, a Blu Ray player can be bought for about $40 or so. I want to know when they will ever phase out dvd completely (noticed I said WHEN and not IF)

As a Blu Ray owner I feel shafted often times when new releases still come out on dvd only or when big-box retailers cut their shelf space for Blu Ray in half after they issue a PR statement indicating how committed they are to the Blu Ray format.

And regarding what Bruceames says about costs ... Compared to say 5 years ago, Blu Rays are very cheap to produce. Actually when produced in decent quantities the costs are almost negligible between dvd or blu ray production costs. I still remember when cd-r media was about $30 for a single 74 minute disc.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
The world households in general are highly saturated in cheap big screen hi-def tvs now and even in off-season, a Blu Ray player can be bought for about $40 or so. I want to know when they will ever phase out dvd completely (noticed I said WHEN and not IF)

As a Blu Ray owner I feel shafted often times when new releases still come out on dvd only or when big-box retailers cut their shelf space for Blu Ray in half after they issue a PR statement indicating how committed they are to the Blu Ray format.

And regarding what Bruceames says about costs ... Compared to say 5 years ago, Blu Rays are very cheap to produce. Actually when produced in decent quantities the costs are almost negligible between dvd or blu ray production costs. I still remember when cd-r media was about $30 for a single 74 minute disc.
I'm still waiting for Dark Shadows and classic Doctor Who to be released on SD Blu-ray. Really, any popular TV series that was shot on tape instead of film could benefit. They could save a ton of money, as well as hopefully pass those savings on to consumers, by doing this. Sure, there'd be a bunch of idiots that scream about the material not being in 1080p, but as long as it's clearly marked on the package, I see no problem with doing this.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
That's easy. Never. Even now 8000 titles a year get released on DVD that don't make it to Blu-ray. The other 2000 do make it to Blu-ray but nearly every one of them are also released on DVD (the only exceptions are those that have already been released on DVD).

It's called viability. And it makes all the difference in the world on the true strength of a format. Let's face it, Blu-ray has been around for over 8 years and still gets outsold by DVD by a 2:1 margin while releasing a fraction of the output. If it hasn't gotten it done by now then it won't get it done ever, especially now that digital will be taking over.

So if Blu-ray was intended to be DVD's successor, then it has failed miserably. But as a supplement to DVD, to prolong the life of physical and bring it into the HD world, then it has done adequately well (although underperforming by every measure).