'The Sacrament' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 PM

Default 'The Sacrament' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed Ti West's 'The Sacrament'. He says this is an eerily atmospheric thriller that slowly grows in tension. The Blu-ray features very good picture, creepy audio, and a light assortment of amusing extras. Give it a rent.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/12594/thesacrament.html
Old 09-16-2014, 11:30 PM

Looking forward to seeing this. I was blown away by the old school charm of House Of The Devil, however I found The Inkeepers to be a dull, non-scary, poorly acted, poor-dialogue-laden waste of time... that at least had a good title sequence.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:29 PM

I'm going to be the only person in here who thinks the following:
The House of the Devil was okay but started out way too slow. The Innkeepers is one of the scariest films I've EVER seen, slow as it may be. It terrified me to the core.

I might as well keep going (with my unpopular opinions):
Eli Roth is brilliant. Cabin Fever was an incredible debut! Hostel 1 and 2 are both HIGHLY enjoyable horror/comedy films. I'm definitely going to see Green Inferno ASAP.

Okay, that's out of the way, time to get back on topic. I really, really wanted to love The Sacrament. I was ecstatic when I finally got a copy and sat down to watch. It started out good, it maintained its momentum and then...

Spoiler
To quote Ron Burgundy, "that escalated quickly." Why did the cult leader guy think that all was lost just because the reporters were asking him questions? There's 20 things he could have done to take care of the situation and remain in his little utopia! I'd understand if they'd reported back to the U.S. and troops were on the way, but that didn't happen. At the SLIGHTEST bit of fear of discovery, everyone has to die? Granted it was excellent again once that started happening, for those scenes were positively gruesome and gut-wrenching.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:45 PM

I donít really understand the need for a three-paragraph, vitriolic rant about Eli Rothís supposed lack of talent merely because his name adorns the top of the box. Clearly his name Ė regardless of your personal feelings for the man Ė carries more weight that Ty West, whose efforts thus far have been regulated to limited theatrical releases buoyed by On-Demand digital distribution. Even if I subscribe to the notion that Roth is the hack you claim, he nonetheless enjoys some measure of success and notoriety and if that in turn translates his name into a currency that allows a solid filmmaker like West to get a bit more traction with the mainstream, I canít fathom how that is a bad thing.

Also, in your rush to eviscerate Roth, you could, at the very least, get your facts straight. To date the man has directed three feature films not including the upcoming Green Inferno. Itís also a bit odd and more than a tad ironic that you mentioned Tarantino given that Roth directed the short Thanksgiving, which was widely considered to be among the best of those faux-trailers.

And of course he had a sizeable role in Inglorious Bastards.

So clearly some people, namely that Academy Award-winning director you mentioned, think this fellow has at least some modicum of talent.

I also question the professionalism of dedicating more space to your lambasting of Roth than your analysis and deconstruction of the actual movie. Itís an odd choice given your own insistence that Roth had nothing to do with the production of The Sacrament, yet you opt to shine the spotlight on his superficial inclusion which, ironically, serves to demonstrate precisely why his name was utilized.

And while I personally loathed Cabin Fever, both Hostel films (III isnít being tallied here for obvious reasons) are damn solid horror flicks that utilize surprisingly strong characterization, especially the second which enjoys one of the few female protagonists in horror who isnít a vapid stereotype waiting to be hacked to bits. Both Hostel films certainly tread less familiar ground than The Sacrament, which is well-made but follows the Jonestown massacre narrative so rigidly as to rob the film of any revelatory quotient or genuine surprise.

Honestly, that was a shit review and what truly sucks is that you took the release of a relatively decent movie and used it as a platform to rant about somebody tangentially related to the product. It was pointless and entirely unfair to your readers and to Ty West, who Iím certain would appreciate a more in-depth review rather than a decision to air your personal grievance about Eli Roth.

Seriously, you are better than this and so is Hi Def digest.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 PM

Default Huh

What a ridiculous rant to start the review off with. I'm sorry but Hostel is actually a really well made horror flick and not nearly just the shock film everyone likes to make it out to be. His upcoming Green inferno also looks excellent and I'd say it's a little too early to write him off, don't ya think?

Tarantino also has a lot of overrated films so let's not act like he's some untouchable god of film making. He's made some fine films (especially as he gets older) but I wouldn't say his name slapped on the film is some perfect seal of approval either.

What an awful review
Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boggess View Post
Honestly, that was a shit review and what truly sucks is that you took the release of a relatively decent movie and used it as a platform to rant about somebody tangentially related to the product. It was pointless and entirely unfair to your readers and to Ty West, who Iím certain would appreciate a more in-depth review rather than a decision to air your personal grievance about Eli Roth.
Welcome Bill and cheers to your first post.
I am reasonably sure E. knows how to critique a movie. And I certainly see why you feel the review was way off (with the exception of the last paragraph) which begins to ebb away from fact and more into opinion. I have tastes for specific movies/genres as well, and at times to see something I truly love bashed, it just makes me get worked up and want to bash back. Then I mull it over, make a skillfully crafted response on how I disagree and move on.

Quote:
Seriously, you are better than this and so is Hi Def digest.
Standard Disclaimer alert - About the reviews, forum staff, etc. Comments, opinions, and so on are not necessarily reflecting those of HDD or IB.