High-Def Digests Explores the Marvel Cinematic Universe - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Default High-Def Digests Explores the Marvel Cinematic Universe

High-Def Digest has decided to look back at the best of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far; look forward with what Marvel has coming down the pipeline; and look to the future, to speculate on what would make our Marvel cinematic dreams come true.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...universe/17815
Old 09-15-2014, 12:30 PM

I hated IM3 and Avengers, but that's me. I totally agree with Winter Soldier #1. That movie was incredible and everything in it was done right.

I too want to see The Infinity Gauntlet - BRING IT!

The 5 you are most excited for all sound promising, I'm really interested in Doctor Strange.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 PM

I saw Winter Solider this weekend, and I agree it was VERY good! The whole gunship aspect was a bit wonky, but everything else was loads of fun. Very well done.

There are more Marvel movies that were misses than hits for me.

The three that stand out as ones I actually dug, and could watch again are:

- Iron Man (1)
- The Avengers
- Captain American: Winter Solider
Old 09-15-2014, 04:04 PM

Total horse-shit. Everyone knows that the two best Marvel films are 'Cap 2' and 'GotG', in some order. (I would put 'GotG' at the top). Furthermore, 'IM3' doesn't belong anywhere near any "Best of" anything list.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:32 PM

I'll never understand the adoration for 'Cap 2'. It's a nicely serviceable superhero flick, but more of the same. There's nothing about it that isn't the same regurgitated Marvel formula.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 09-15-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
I'll never understand the adoration for 'Cap 2'. It's a nicely serviceable superhero flick, but more of the same. There's nothing about it that isn't the same regurgitated Marvel formula.
I enjoyed it, and felt the story line had a different feel than any of the other Marvel films (more of a conspiracy thriller in some parts). But, because the enjoyment of the story is solving this mystery, I can't see it having as much rewatchability as, say, Iron Man (1) or The Avengers (haven't seen GotG yet).
Old 09-15-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Aaron, personally, the only MCU film that stands on its own, is 'Guardians'. 'GotG' is the best 'Star Wars' film since 1980. When I rank the remainder of the MCU stable, I'm merely stacking them up against each other, not against all other cinema. Frankly, none of the other MCU films are great, when you compare them to the great films of the past decade. However, when compared only to the other films in the Marvel cannon, 'Cap 2' really shines. What film are you going put above it? One of the 'Thor' movies? ' The Incredible Hulk'? 'The abysmal 'Iron Man 2'? The putrid 'Iron Man 3'? When you start looking at it this way, it becomes difficult to not understand the adoration for 'Cap 2'.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:06 PM

I also don't get the love for Winter Soldier. While I think it was better than the first (which isn't hard to do, since that was the weakest Marvel film IMO), and made Steve Rogers into a cooler character, it no way deserves to be the best Marvel film. It had high aspirations, which I respect, but ultimately fell short. It tried to be a smart film, but it was pretty predictable. And if you're trying to be smart, why do you have so many cliches? Why do all of your bad guys shoot directly at Cap's shield? You know he has legs that are totally exposed right? Why does his shield all of a sudden turn into a boomerang with no explanation?

It was things like that which totally ruined the experience for me. If you want to be silly and entertaining, go with that. Guardians did a great job of that. But if you want to be a smart film, don't have dumb things in it that betray your superhero movie cliches.

Iron Man is still the best Marvel film to me. I pretty much agree with the rest of the entries on the list though, but would substitute Thor 1 or 2 for Cap 2.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew18 View Post
Total horse-shit... 'IM3' doesn't belong anywhere near any "Best of" anything list.
Yeoman: "What makes 'Iron Man 3' so different is... out ol' Shellhead's suit by getting into the head of the man who created him. To that end, 'Iron Man 3' played as the next step of Tony Stark's evolution by taking him out of the suit for most of the film, to explore how the heart of the hero is more complex than the arc reactor keeping his heart from failing."

"The film again utilized Downey's on-screen charms as its biggest weapon..."

-----

They took "Tony out of his suit" to show that he's MORE than a suit???

No, he's
Spoiler
23 suits! And the suits can be used by Iron Patriot, bad guys, Pepper Potts,
or not be used by anyone, remote drones piloted by artificial intelligence.

Did Tony really destroy the
Spoiler
suits because he doesn't need them? Or did he realize that the suits don't
need him?

IM3 revealed that "the heart of the hero" is completely unnecessary for the suits.

Yeah, "Downey's on-screen charms" with
Spoiler
23 suits + super-dragon-magic-blood-Pepper-Potts

are IM3's "biggest weapon."
Old 09-15-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
Yeoman: "What makes 'Iron Man 3' so different is... out ol' Shellhead's suit by getting into the head of the man who created him. To that end, 'Iron Man 3' played as the next step of Tony Stark's evolution by taking him out of the suit for most of the film, to explore how the heart of the hero is more complex than the arc reactor keeping his heart from failing."

"The film again utilized Downey's on-screen charms as its biggest weapon..."

-----

They took "Tony out of his suit" to show that he's MORE than a suit???

No, he's
Spoiler
23 suits! And the suits can be used by Iron Patriot, bad guys, Pepper Potts,
or not be used by anyone, remote drones piloted by artificial intelligence.

Did Tony really destroy the
Spoiler
suits because he doesn't need them? Or did he realize that the suits don't
need him?

IM3 revealed that "the heart of the hero" is completely unnecessary for the suits.

Yeah, "Downey's on-screen charms" with
Spoiler
23 suits + super-dragon-magic-blood-Pepper-Potts

are IM3's "biggest weapon."
Thanks, Tim. This perfectly sums up just how terrible 'IM3' is.