'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' 2D and 3D - High-Def Digest Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Default 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' 2D and 3D - High-Def Digest Reviews

Our reviews of the 2D and 3D Blu-ray releases of 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' have just been posted. Michael S. Palmer says this is a terrific homage to '70s conspiracy thrillers and another solid entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. With exceptional video and a reference quality 7.1 sound, as well as a great Audio Commentary (along with a few other extras), these Blu-rays are recommended and HIGHLY recommended. Read our reviews to see which gets the higher rating!

2D Blu-ray review:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1366...ersoldier.html

3D Blu-ray review:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1236...soldier3d.html
Old 09-10-2014, 12:03 PM

I've heard that the prior Marvel Universe 3D conversions leave a lot to be desired. The review makes it sound like things have changed (I've avoided the Marvel 3D Blu-Rays so far). Is it correct that this is an improvement over those releases?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I've heard that the prior Marvel Universe 3D conversions leave a lot to be desired. The review makes it sound like things have changed (I've avoided the Marvel 3D Blu-Rays so far). Is it correct that this is an improvement over those releases?
I thought Thor 2 and the Avengers were pretty good, I have the first Thor in 3D but have never watched it and I never picked up the first Captain America in 3D so I'm not sure how that is either, I also have Iron Man 3 in 3D but I havent watched that movie at all since the theaters
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM

I'll give this a shot, but I do not have high hopes. I just can't stand Captain America as a character
Old 09-10-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
I'll give this a shot, but I do not have high hopes. I just can't stand Captain America as a character
Just curious, do you mean the character overall? Or the one specifically from these series of films?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Much better than the first Captain America, which wasn't too exciting.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:30 PM

My initial impressions on Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D, from the 3D forum, for those who forgot we had a 3D forum.

"Captain America: Winter Soldier - Just got the disc in from the UK this morning. Long film, for sure. Well, does it live up to all of the hype it's gotten? I don't think any film could live up to the level of hype this one has gotten. I think Winter Soldier is a good film, an entertaining film, but some of the dialogue and acting in it keeps it from being a five-star film. You can bayformers any film you want, but that doesn't make it perfect either. The plot isn't terrible. It's just a much darker film than the first, a lot darker than The Avengers too, and it has much much more cgi than the original. There doesn't seem to be much comic relief or much lightheartedness to it either. With that said, I think people like it when films are darker.

For the most part, I could have done without the 3D. I own over 200 3D blu-rays, and at this point, I like to see 3D add something to a film. At minimum, it needs to be a crucial part of the atmosphere of the film. It needs to envelope the viewer, and it's also OK to do pop-out/gimmick shots, to spice things up every once in awhile. Some of the fast-action/fighting scenes (and one in particular, near the beginning) that are in this film make me wonder if every scene was shot in 2D, with 3D in mind. The director surely should have known it was going to be. With that said, there's nothing particularly wrong with the conversion. There is depth in most of the scenes. Nothing really stands out or envelopes you, however."

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have went with the 2D version. As I stated, I own over 200 3D films and have seen a couple dozen others. There are bad conversions, and then there are conversions, like this, that are decent but don't really add much to the experience. If you're new to 3D or have a small collection, I could see wanting to add this to a collection. If not, don't bother. Conversions could certainly kill off 3D, as a viable, marketable art-form, if each and every studio and/or director gets complacent.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:02 PM

If the 3D conversion is pretty damn good, I'm alright with it. Plus, many retailers
are pricing the 3D at zero or little premium over the 2D disc at release week.

Not every movie will have scenes involving holding back a Bengal tiger with a
short pole on a small boat or have a stampede of flying fish, so it's okay if the
3D isn't essential to the viewing experience.

I'd even say that 3D (assuming it's good 3D) is a more realistic viewing
experience than 2D. The world outside of the TV screen IS a 3D world.

If you have 3D TV capabilities or soon will, I'd say pick this up in 3D. I agree
that it's not essential. But let's face it, 8 speakers aren't essential, too, but if
7.1 can be acquired with not much of a premium, why not?
Old 09-10-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
If the 3D conversion is pretty damn good, I'm alright with it. Plus, many retailers
are pricing the 3D at zero or little premium over the 2D disc at release week.

Not every movie will have scenes involving holding back a Bengal tiger with a
short pole on a small boat or have a stampede of flying fish, so it's okay if the
3D isn't essential to the viewing experience.

I'd even say that 3D (assuming it's good 3D) is a more realistic viewing
experience than 2D. The world outside of the TV screen IS a 3D world.

If you have 3D TV capabilities or soon will, I'd say pick this up in 3D. I agree
that it's not essential. But let's face it, 8 speakers aren't essential, too, but if
7.1 can be acquired with not much of a premium, why not?
Yup I agree with this.

I LOLed at this
"Not every movie will have scenes involving holding back a Bengal tiger with a
3D isn't essential to the viewing experience."

I didn't even see the movie but knew what you were talking about LOL
Old 09-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDD Review
The only thing to really consider is, for a $5 premium, do you enjoy 3D?
I realize the review was written before Amazon matched the B&Ms, but now there's only a $2 "premium" for the 3D + 2D + Digital pack. Certain stores are charging the same price for both.