'Godzilla (2014)' and 'Godzilla - 3D (2014)'- High-Def Digest Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Default 'Godzilla (2014)' and 'Godzilla - 3D (2014)'- High-Def Digest Reviews

Michael S. Palmer has reviewed 'Godzilla' (2014), He says this is a fun monster movie with glorious battles and breathtaking visuals. The Blu-ray showcases sharp and dynamic video, but it may be a bit dark on some displays. The audio is spectacular! Read our review for all the details...

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/12448/godzilla2014.html
Old 09-09-2014, 02:36 PM

Great review Michael, which I agree with throughout.

I really liked this movie. I love how Godzilla was portrayed. I didn't mind they didn't show much of him from the get go either.

I thought Taylor-Johnson's acting and his wife's were very stiff. It may it hard to relate and feel for them for some reason. Could be script related too. That's pretty much my only qualm with the movie.

Looking forward to seeing this at home
Old 09-09-2014, 03:26 PM

3 things:

1. Ford never blamed his dad for his mother's death. He's only mad because he won't get past it.

2. Joe couldn't be the main character. His arc was done when he was proven right, most importantly to his son. Him being in it longer wouldn't have made much difference if his arc was done already.

3. I agree that this should've been the first Atmos on blu-ray. I refuse to buy the new Transformers film to experience it. Might as well wait for the rumored Frozen special edition which will come with Atmos.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:30 PM

This is probably my favorite movie of the year, but I will not be touching this BD with my own money. Those dark scenes are annoying and the lack of the deleted Akira Takarade scene tell me there will be a double dip in the future. As such, I see no reason to buy this now when it will be rereleased in a few months with a better edition. And if not, there is always an Xmas list I can put this on.

And I'm sorry, I don't agree with the dark scenes being okay. It was not like that in the theaters when I saw the movie a few times, there is no reason for it to be like that on video.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
This is probably my favorite movie of the year, but I will not be touching this BD with my own money. Those dark scenes are annoying and the lack of the deleted Akira Takarade scene tell me there will be a double dip in the future. As such, I see no reason to buy this now when it will be rereleased in a few months with a better edition. And if not, there is always an Xmas list I can put this on.

And I'm sorry, I don't agree with the dark scenes being okay. It was not like that in the theaters when I saw the movie a few times, there is no reason for it to be like that on video.
Sorry for my ignorance but
1. What deleted Akira scene
2. What dark scenes? I saw this in the theater as well in 3D IMAX

thanks
Old 09-09-2014, 04:50 PM

I see people mentioning the dark scenes...the original is VERY DARK. I'm saying this having watched the Criterion BD more than once, on two different properly calibrated displays. In some scenes, it's just light enough to tell what's going on, based on the silhouettes in the scene. Just darkness, fire, death and destruction.

I was hoping this movie would be similar in that vein.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBarnill View Post
3 things:

1. Ford never blamed his dad for his mother's death. He's only mad because he won't get past it.

2. Joe couldn't be the main character. His arc was done when he was proven right, most importantly to his son. Him being in it longer wouldn't have made much difference if his arc was done already.

3. I agree that this should've been the first Atmos on blu-ray. I refuse to buy the new Transformers film to experience it. Might as well wait for the rumored Frozen special edition which will come with Atmos.
Thanks for chiming in. Great points, allow me to further clarify:

1. I didn't mean to imply Ford was openly acting out against his father in this way, but rather that the death and the aftermath is the source of the father-son friction -- it seemed easier to simply that sentiment into 'blames for death'. I'll probably go back in and revise this slightly. Thank you.

2. Of course Joe couldn't be the main character, for exactly the reason you cite (I was also dancing around some spoilers in this section). My intention was, given the overlap between the father and son's emotional states, was simply to wonder what a different movie might have been if told from Joe's POV, i.e. a father torn between his obsessions and his family. That version might not have been any stronger than what we were given here. It just popped into my head as I was writing, so I figured I'd share.

However, I disagree that Joe staying in the story longer could not have improved things. Yes, Joe's arc was complete, but Ford's journey was not, and by resolving the Father-Son conflict early, it left an emotional hole (for Ford) going forward that was never really filled in with another conflict.

Hope that's a little clearer.

3. Haven't heard of 'Frozen' with Atmos, and right now Disney seems content with DTS-HD MA encoded Blu-ray discs, but that would be wonderful.

Cheers.

Last edited by Palmer; 09-09-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-09-2014, 05:55 PM

What are people talking about with these dark scenes. I Watched this on my projector last night in a non light controlled room and I found NO problems watching it at all. Dark scenes were fine.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
However, I disagree that Joe staying in the story longer could not have improved things. Yes, Joe's arc was complete, but Ford's journey was not, and by resolving the Father-Son conflict early, it left an emotional hole (for Ford) going forward that was never really filled in with another conflict.
I was thinking about that. I guess he could've stayed a bit longer for the sake of delevopment for Ford. I also do wish that Watanabe's character was more of a deurotagonist, rather than mostly there for exposition. They could've done more with him. I thought his experience (or more specifically, his father's) with nuclear weapons was pretty interesting.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopkiwi View Post
What are people talking about with these dark scenes. I Watched this on my projector last night in a non light controlled room and I found NO problems watching it at all. Dark scenes were fine.
Amen. I saw this in IMAX 3D, 3 times. There is no issue whatsoever with the dark scenes. I watched this on my 12' screen, via Sony 4K projector, last night. My setup is professionally calibrated for 16 foot lamberts, universally across the screen, and the dark scenes were glorious. I don't know how a television putting out 40 fl or more wouldn't display the dark scenes excellently. I'll watch it on my 65" ZT60, and report back. I really can't imagine that I will be let down.

Last edited by Drew18; 09-09-2014 at 07:17 PM.