What would you like to see on 4k blu-ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-08-2014, 06:35 PM

Default What would you like to see on 4k blu-ray?

Hopefully, 4k Blu-ray players and discs will be released for the 2015 Holiday shopping season, and if so I believe 4k offerings will be a mixture of the latest movies, catalog titles and the usual stinkers that are always released when a new format is made available to the public. Of those movies that exist today, and those set to arrive, what would cause you to fling open your wallet?

For me, this is a sampling of the movies I'd like to see....

1. 'Star Wars VII' (although it will be too early to see this on 4k Blu-ray)
2. 'Ben-Hur' (1959 version)
3. 2005's 'King Kong'
4. '2001: A Space Odyssey'
5. 'Tess'
6. 'Glory'
7. 'Avatar'
8. 'Lawrence of Arabia'
9. Episodes one through six of 'Star Wars'
10. James Cameron's 'Titanic'
11. 'Dances with Wolves'

You can see by these titles that I'm a senior citizen, but I definitely would love a pristine 4k transfer of the above, although it's only a small sampling of what I'd like to see. And I'd REALLY love to see numbers 1, 3, 4, 7, 9 and 10 in 3D 4k.

That's a sample of what I'd like to see. By all means, feel free to share with all of us your list.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:34 AM

Given how poorly catalog titles sell on Blu-ray now, the 4k format will almost certainly be focused on new release movies with only the highest of high profile classics slipping in.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:28 PM

Josh, you've brought up an excellent point, and I'm afraid you're probably right. My biggest hope is that there are enough older citizens like myself, who have the money and desire to see the great classics displayed in pristine condition, who will cause studios to re-release some of the higher-profile catalog movies in 4k. I think 'Ben-Hur', 'Titanic', 'Avatar' and perhaps Peter Jackson's 'King Kong' have the best chance. What will be interesting is to see how many, and what kinds, of new releases hit the market place.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Josh, you've brought up an excellent point, and I'm afraid you're probably right. My biggest hope is that there are enough older citizens like myself, who have the money and desire to see the great classics displayed in pristine condition, who will cause studios to re-release some of the higher-profile catalog movies in 4k. I think 'Ben-Hur', 'Titanic', 'Avatar' and perhaps Peter Jackson's 'King Kong' have the best chance. What will be interesting is to see how many, and what kinds, of new releases hit the market place.
Avatar was photographed digitally at 2k. Jackson's King Kong was shot on 35mm but locked to 2k at the Digital Intermediate. These movies will not appear on a 4k format.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Avatar was photographed digitally at 2k. Jackson's King Kong was shot on 35mm but locked to 2k at the Digital Intermediate. These movies will not appear on a 4k format.
Once again someone setting hard specs and cutting themselves short.

Can King Kong just be re-edited/redone like Star Trek TNG is being ?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:36 AM

I dont think I will be re buying any of the movies I have bought for blu ray already. If the transfers are EXCEPTIONAL, I might be tempted to re buy all four of the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies for 4K. That's really the only ones I would consider. For 4K, I will be focusing on new releases...not re releases of movies that have been out for some time.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Once again someone setting hard specs and cutting themselves short.

Can King Kong just be re-edited/redone like Star Trek TNG is being ?
I'm pretty sure all of the visual effects were rendered at 2k as well, so all of those would have to be redone. Jackson's version of King Kong was financially successful in its day, but it has not proven to be beloved by many. There is basically no chance of the studio expending this much effort and expense on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
I might be tempted to re buy all four of the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies for 4K. That's really the only ones I would consider.
All four of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are also locked to 2k at the DI. Most modern movies are. 4k DIs are a recent development and still quite rare.

The lack of 4k quality content is going to be a huge obstacle for the new disc format.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM

They did an AMAZING job of remastering 'Alien' from a new 4k scan for the prior Blu-Ray release, and I'd love to see how that looks in actual 4k.