'Star Trek: The Compendium' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-08-2014, 11:39 AM

Default 'Star Trek: The Compendium' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Star Trek: The Compendium'. Viewers will have to determine for themselves whether this collection warrants another purchase, but his review should tell you everything you need to know to make that decision.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1279...ompendium.html
Old 09-08-2014, 11:47 AM

"In brief, the film is a messy hodgepodge of half-thought-out ideas, ill-considered character arcs, and major plot-points and dramatic moments recycled from earlier franchise entries without any of the original context or emotional relevance – all wrapped up in a bunch of videogame-y action sequences that feel like Abrams' audition reel for his upcoming 'Star Wars' gig. It's flashy and frenetic, but terribly shallow and bereft of imagination."

VERY well stated

Those screengrabs look really close. The shot of Spock's face under the mask was only the difference I could see and it was minor. Could be my work monitor.

Those additional features are impressive and vast, holy shit!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:12 PM

I dug these films as a straight up sci-fi action film, and didn't get caught up in continuity with the existing universe. I wasn't all that well versed in it to begin with.

But, random thought here...I caught 'Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn' yesterday on Sci-Fi. I haven't watched it in decades. It really is a very solid movie, something that a person with no real familiarity with Star Trek could still enjoy. Story wise, much better than either of these two newer films.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I dug these films as a straight up sci-fi action film, and didn't get caught up in continuity with the existing universe. I wasn't all that well versed in it to begin with.
Even without the Star Trek lore the second movie was a mess IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
But, random thought here...I caught 'Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn' yesterday on Sci-Fi. I haven't watched it in decades. It really is a very solid movie, something that a person with no real familiarity with Star Trek could still enjoy. Story wise, much better than either of these two newer films.
Of course. It's an amazing film because it had a solid script and acting. Kahn was always an awesome villain too.

"To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"
Old 09-08-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Those additional features are impressive and vast, holy shit!
The only new feature worth watching is the Enhanced Commentary. The other new featurettes are mostly filler garbage, and it was a huge waste of my time to slog through them over the past several days. I suffered through this so that you don't have to.

Some of the featurettes are so short that it took almost as long to wait for my Blu-ray player to return to the menu so that I could select the next one and wait for it to start. It would have halved my time if they'd been edited together into a single production documentary rather than split up the way they were. (Though it still would have been a crappy documentary.)
Old 09-08-2014, 06:38 PM

If you never bothered to buy Into Darkness originally, is this the way to do it?

The movie was utterly fantastic but I never bought it because of its assnine release.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The only new feature worth watching is the Enhanced Commentary. The other new featurettes are mostly filler garbage, and it was a huge waste of my time to slog through them over the past several days. I suffered through this so that you don't have to.

Some of the featurettes are so short that it took almost as long to wait for my Blu-ray player to return to the menu so that I could select the next one and wait for it to start. It would have halved my time if they'd been edited together into a single production documentary rather than split up the way they were. (Though it still would have been a crappy documentary.)
That does sound brutal, sorry. Thanks for letting us know though.

I also hate those short features, for exactly that reason, it takes time to load them up in the first place!

I'm gonna pass on this set.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I strongly suspect Paramount will on the next Trek release pull the same stunt, spreading out the special features across multiple outlets, pissing everyone off again for the inevitable 3-movie Trek set.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
If you never bothered to buy Into Darkness originally, is this the way to do it?

The movie was utterly fantastic but I never bought it because of its assnine release.
I would say yes Kain,imo. If you have never bought Into Darkness...I would go with this release (looks like a better transfer, ALL the extra features, and IMAX footage is always a BIG positive)...unless you want the 3D version. If 3D is not important to you, go with this release.

As for me, I'm buying this release.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserDisc Hero Josh Zyber
'Playboy' pin-up Diora Baird
Ha, Miss Baird will be offended If you read her Twitter, she comes across as very witty and smart. And she considers herself to be a veritable actress.

Can you give us the funny adlib by Leonard Nimoy in spoiler brackets, Josh?