'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' & 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 3D'- High-Def Digest Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 AM

Default 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' & 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 3D'- High-Def Digest Reviews

Aaron has reviewed 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2'. He says aside from some questionable effects, this movie is pretty entertaining. The disc is also demo-worthy all around. Recommended.

Full review:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1218...piderman2.html
Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 AM

I did not know this was shot on film. Looking forward to picking it up sometime.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:07 AM

This movie sucks. I mean, it isn't as bad as Spider-Man 3, but it is just a mess. It has three different plots thrown into it just for the sake of setting up the sequels without even giving us a story. The only redeeming parts of the movie are Electro and everything between Peter and Gwen is incredible. If the movie had ended after a certain spot, it would have been much better, but nope, it has to go and end abruptly in the third plot point of the movie. It also sucks that Sony went with the predictable route instead of not doing what everyone expected them to do.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Peck
The Music of ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2' with Director Marc Webb (HD, 8 min.) – Music talk as Webb covers the score and Han Zimmer's work.
Funny typo 'Han Zimmer', Han Solo's German cousin.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:23 AM

I thought the first amazing spider-man was a pleasant surprise. This one is a not so pleasant disappointment. This movie is way overstuffed, and there is not a cohesive plot to be found.

There are some great scenes sprinkled through out, and I really enjoy the two leads. Webb just needs to find someone that is willing to tell him when to edit something out, I think there is a good movie somewhere in this.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:58 AM

I've heard this is better that the 1st one, I'll find out this week
Old 08-18-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I did not know this was shot on film.
Without question the cinematography is one area the sequel improves over its too-dark and overly digital predecessor. Webb's switch (back) to 35mm is the a thing worth praising, IMO. Perhaps one of the only things to praise.

Well, no, Emma Stone and Garfield have amazing chemistry, and their little rom-com subversively stuffed between all the blockbuster action shlock is... cute. Webb should've just made that movie, stipped of the superhero stuff, instead. I hope he does one day get out of the blockbuster business.

If the first movie was surprisingly enjoyable but a little too close to Raimi's first Spider-Man, then the sequel is awfully alike Spider-Man 3, often in the worst way. There's too much plot, too many characters, and the tone is all over the place. There's a lot of illogical nonsense that's entirely, unintentional, hilarious. I mean, no, there isn't a point where Spidey forgets about an out of control crane wildly destroying shit in the background after he's rescued Ron Howard's Daughter, or a scene where a newscaster knows the plot before I do and explains it direct to camera... but there are other things just as bad. Like Paul Giamatti's Rhino.

And I never thought I would say this, because the guy's career has just been a recycling of his work from Krull over the years, but James Horner is missed. The equally economic Hans Zimmer is a total downgrade from Horner. At least Horner wrote a good score once or twice to repeatedly pull from over the years. Hansy, not so much.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Mark me down as one who thought this film was a big mess. Without spoilers, it's funny how Webb insists on following comics lore for part of his storyline, yet rips apart the essential basis of the Spidey character with another storyline.

Might have been a better movie if Jamie Foxx's villain wasn't part of it - he's not essential to the storyline (at least the interesting parts of it) and his screentime does little but add to the running time.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:48 AM

This movie was... I dunno. It felt like a cross between Batman and Robin and something like The Dark Knight. The quality was WILDLY inconsistent and it felt like they had no idea what tone they were going for.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I've heard this is better that the 1st one, I'll find out this week
I haven't heard anyone say that. Maybe someone was pranking you