The Shooting / Ride in the Whirlwind

It Happened One Night

L'avventura

Les Blank: Always for Pleasure

Tootsie
Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scohen View Post
Sourced from a brand new 4K restoration that's been in the works for years.

Sony and ColorWorks also recently created new 4K masters of Frank Capra's Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Lost Horizon, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and You Can't Take it With You. Here's hoping Criterion has Blu-ray plans for the other films too.

Sony intends to release all 5 films through their 4K Ultra HD download/streaming service.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:58 PM

Exciting news about It Happened One Night.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Sourced from a brand new 4K restoration that's been in the works for years.

Sony and ColorWorks also recently created new 4K masters of Frank Capra's Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Lost Horizon, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and You Can't Take it With You. Here's hoping Criterion has Blu-ray plans for the other films too.

Sony intends to release all 5 films through their 4K Ultra HD download/streaming service.
I saw a preview of It Happened One Night on their 4k download service. Wasn't very impressed but it did look better than the DVD of course. Glad to read that Sony intends to bring the others to their download service, but I hope the others are sourced from better prints/negatives than this one.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:10 AM

LOL @ Tootsie. Always liked that movie and I'm also very excited for It Happened One Night
Old 08-18-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I saw a preview of It Happened One Night on their 4k download service. Wasn't very impressed but it did look better than the DVD of course.
It Happened One Night was shot in a dreamy, soft-focus style. The original negative is also in terrible condition. Some portions were unusable, and the restoration crew had to turn to secondary elements in better but still not great shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Glad to read that Sony intends to bring the others to their download service, but I hope the others are sourced from better prints/negatives than this one.
Unfortunately, most of Capra's work at Columbia is in a similar state. He almost single handedly moved the studio off Poverty Row and turned them into a profitable, award-winning, mini-major. His films were Spielberg-level popular in an era when duping from negative to create release prints was the norm. His films had numerous prints made for lengthy theatrical engagements, thus the negative was degraded with each pass.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
It Happened One Night was shot in a dreamy, soft-focus style. The original negative is also in terrible condition. Some portions were unusable, and the restoration crew had to turn to secondary elements in better but still not great shape.

Unfortunately, most of Capra's work at Columbia is in a similar state. He almost single handedly moved the studio off Poverty Row and turned them into a profitable, award-winning, mini-major. His films were Spielberg-level popular in an era when duping from negative to create release prints was the norm. His films had numerous prints made for lengthy theatrical engagements, thus the negative was degraded with each pass.
That's what I figured. It's possible and even likely that with all those titles, 1080p encodes are all that's needed to fully resolved the surviving fine detail from the best surviving source elements. So 4K is not going to do anything here (except perhaps in a few scenes that are in better shape).
Old 08-19-2014, 10:36 PM

Wowsers. This is the best Criterion slate I've seen in years. Three of these are first day purchases.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:38 PM

WOW, it Happened one night and Tootsie in new scans? sounds good.