Old 08-13-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
That's a Damme good collection.

I'll be picking it up.
LOL

I see what you did there
Old 08-13-2014, 04:29 PM

The Quest has been available individually for some time, but the rest will be a nice addition. I've been wanting Hard Target on BD for awhile.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:33 PM

I recall, around 1999, in college, I stayed in one day (there was snow, maybe there were classes that day, I don't recall). My roommate did as well. I think we were both not feeling all that well, and both stayed in bed (separate beds lol) and watched 'The Legionnaire'. I don't recall it being a good movie...it felt like twice as long as it's 99 minute run time...but it was interesting to see Van Damme in such a different role.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:37 PM

I thought Legionnaire was quite good. It was one of the first DTV's for him, if not THE first one. I think that one is right after Double Team, so it's probably the first DTV, and a better movie than Double Team or Knock-Off, both directed by Tsui Hark and during JCVD's cokehead days. He wasn't even doing half the stunts anymore for those action films.

Legionnaire had a nice performance from Steven Berkoff as the Sergeant. It is rather formulaic with some VERY stereotypical characterizations, like the weakling who joined up to impress his woman. But, it's an enjoyable change of pace for a Van Damme movie. I particularly like the story arc of the two goons that join the foreign legion just to get at Van Damme's character, it's funny how stupid a man would have to be for that.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:54 PM

So the movies included:
-Hard Target: Many don't know this, JCVD is almost exclusively responsible for John Woo coming to the USA to make Hollywood films, with Hard Target. Good or bad, John Woo has contributed some great flicks for American audiences, and this is one of them I think.

-The Quest: A more comical Bloodsport, set about 100 years ago. Really though, once the tournament starts, this movie has some of the best displays of all different martial arts wrapped up in a single film. Not as fun movie to watch, but the martial arts depicted here are more impressive, with better fight scenes than Bloodsport. Bloodsport is really just a series of quick fight montages with rock music soundtrack.

Lionheart: Ok, a classic JCVD fight film in the exact same mold as Kickboxer, Bloodsport era. More high flying kicks in slow motion, and rippling muscles.

Sudden Death: Peter Hyams action follow up to Timecop. I think this one finished up his (JCVD) 3-movie contract with Universal Studios. A nice action movie, I actually like this one better than Timecop (his biggest success). Powers Boothe delivers a superb bad-guy performance, going so far as to pick on a little girl, to really make you hate him. This one is Under Seige in a sports arena, or Die Hard at the hockey rink. Pick your poison.

Street Fighter: The turd of the pack. Notoriously bad movie based on the video game. I do get a kick out of Raoul Julia as Bison. IIRC he wants to rule the world with his Bison Dollars that are irresistible or something.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
So the movies included:
-Hard Target: Many don't know this, JCVD is almost exclusively responsible for John Woo coming to the USA to make Hollywood films, with Hard Target. Good or bad, John Woo has contributed some great flicks for American audiences, and this is one of them I think.

-The Quest: A more comical Bloodsport, set about 100 years ago. Really though, once the tournament starts, this movie has some of the best displays of all different martial arts wrapped up in a single film. Not as fun movie to watch, but the martial arts depicted here are more impressive, with better fight scenes than Bloodsport. Bloodsport is really just a series of quick fight montages with rock music soundtrack.

Lionheart: Ok, a classic JCVD fight film in the exact same mold as Kickboxer, Bloodsport era. More high flying kicks in slow motion, and rippling muscles.

Sudden Death: Peter Hyams action follow up to Timecop. I think this one finished up his (JCVD) 3-movie contract with Universal Studios. A nice action movie, I actually like this one better than Timecop (his biggest success). Powers Boothe delivers a superb bad-guy performance, going so far as to pick on a little girl, to really make you hate him. This one is Under Seige in a sports arena, or Die Hard at the hockey rink. Pick your poison.

Street Fighter: The turd of the pack. Notoriously bad movie based on the video game. I do get a kick out of Raoul Julia as Bison. IIRC he wants to rule the world with his Bison Dollars that are irresistible or something.
I got tired of waiting for Hard Target, so I imported it and own Street Fighter. I do want the others. I'll end up picking this up at some point.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
So the movies included:

I really enjoyed Hard Target. Lance Henrikson and Yancy Butler. Not the best Van Damme film (acting wise), but great action.

The Quest is another one of my favorites, I love Jack McGee and Roger Moore in this movie. Van Damme does a really good job in this film, a good throwback to Bloodsport.

Lionheart is a decent movie, but not one of my favorites.

Sudden Death is a Die Hard copy that is a pretty good action film. I still think Timecop is better, but I like this one also.

Street Fighter is a great BAD movie that is just fun to watch.

I own The Quest on Blu-Ray already, but will pick this up for Lionheart, Sudden Death and Hard Target! And, I'll dump my copy of The Quest in lieu of this one.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:49 AM

$45 for this set? Kind of surprised at the price for catalog titles

I grabbed the Cyborg/Double Impact/Death Warrant set from Walmart for $13 a while back and of course the Bloodsport/Timecop set for $12, all five of those cost less than Universals set does. I'll gladly wait for a price drop but I dont own any of those yet, its a must buy eventually