'Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery' -- High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-10-2014, 09:44 PM

Default 'Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery' -- High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery.' Find out why he calls this a must-own Blu-ray set:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1223...remystery.html
Old 08-10-2014, 10:13 PM

I'm waiting for the price to come down a bit more...but I'm excited for this.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:15 PM

Great review! I've had this thing preordered since it was announced and have already watched most of it.

My packaging came apart the first day I had it. The "pages" came unglued from the box and came out in one piece. Luckily, it was easily repaired with a hot glue gun.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
Great review! I've had this thing preordered since it was announced and have already watched most of it.

My packaging came apart the first day I had it. The "pages" came unglued from the box and came out in one piece. Luckily, it was easily repaired with a hot glue gun.
I too preordered it the first day that I was able to on Amazon. That's too bad about your packaging, I would see about returning it or seeing what they will do about getting you a replacement. If it's Amazon like myself they are very willing to make things right usually. Mine has been pretty good so far but the design of the packaging is a little unwieldy, though it is physically gorgeous. I may extract the episodes to hard drive so I don't have an issue later.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:03 AM

Nice review! I've never seen the show or movie, but everything I read makes it sound really interesting. I will have to get this whenever it falls down to $50 or so.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttringle View Post
I too preordered it the first day that I was able to on Amazon. That's too bad about your packaging, I would see about returning it or seeing what they will do about getting you a replacement. If it's Amazon like myself they are very willing to make things right usually. Mine has been pretty good so far but the design of the packaging is a little unwieldy, though it is physically gorgeous. I may extract the episodes to hard drive so I don't have an issue later.
The hot glue worked fine. You'd never know there had ever been a problem.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:39 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Re: the use of SD (standard definition) in some episodes:

Yes, indeed there are some moments that use SD instead of HD. The first season is pretty much sans any instances, but there seems to be a moment or two in each episode of Season 2 that this happens in (note: I'm only on Episode 18, so I can't verify that this will continue, but it seems to be a Season 2 trend so far). The most obvious one is the Season 2 premiere where they lay all the evidence out about the murder in the Sheriff's conference room.

These usually seem to occur in shots that have special effects and or visual transitions (which makes sense, as - unlike Star Trek: The Next Generation - CBS/Paramount wasn't going to go back and re-do the special effects), but I've also seen it happen in a few shots where seemingly nothing special is going on.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM

I'm up to Season 2, Episode 13 on Amazon Prime...I'll be watching the rest off of this box set.

I've seen some people comment about how many episodes you get for the price. I paid just over $80, and I recently saw the complete 'Fringe' for about $80 as well (lowest price yet). You get over 200 episodes (IIRC) with 'Fringe'...a great series...but from what I know it has just a typical package. The impressive detail put into the package for this box set helps justify any premium, on top of the justified cost of owning this series.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:21 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I've seen some people comment about how many episodes you get for the price. I paid just over $80, and I recently saw the complete 'Fringe' for about $80 as well (lowest price yet). You get over 200 episodes (IIRC) with 'Fringe'...a great series...but from what I know it has just a typical package. The impressive detail put into the package for this box set helps justify any premium, on top of the justified cost of owning this series.
Considering the HD restoration that went into this set, plus the work not only on getting all the rights sorted out so that FWWM could be part of the package AND deleted scenes from that movie could be restored and presented, being able to own this set for under $100 (which is what most of us paid for it) is totally worth it.

I even have an issue comparing this to most other TV boxed sets out there, as TWIN PEAKS is arguably the best American TV series of all time, and non-arguably at least in the top 10.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:21 AM

Wow, Dutch subtitles? On an American release? Quite uncommon, and an extra reason to import for family members/friends who aren't fluent in English. Excellent, spoiler-free review. As I've stated on The Bonus View, I have never seen a single episode, but I'm aware of the tremendous amount of respect and following 'Twin Peaks' has (and I've seen most Simpsons parodies). This is a must-own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Zyber
For the 'Fire Walk With Me' theatrical feature, David Lynch expanded 'Twin Peaks' to widescreen 1.85:1. (I've long considered it a disappointment that he didn't go all the way to 2.35:1 like the majority of his other movies.)
Probably an attempt to please Freaky666? (sorry, I couldn't resist)