'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Extended Edition' is coming November 4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-05-2014, 11:50 AM

Default 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Extended Edition' is coming November 4

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1331...ededition.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1331...edition3d.html
The Desolation of Smaug Extended Deluxe Edition + UV with WETA Statuette-Amazon Exclusive
The Desolation of Smaug Extended Deluxe Edition (3D + 2D BD) + UV with WETA Statuette-Amazon Exclusive

Last edited by eNoize; 08-05-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:24 PM

I've generally stayed away from 'extended' cuts, but if I were tempted to do it, it would be with Desolation of Smaug. It was such a great film, but still, the original release is 161 minutes, just 19 minutes shy of three hours. Maybe if you haven't bought the original, it'd be easier to just go out and buy one that's 25 minutes longer; I don't know. There's no way I would even consider an extended cut with the first Hobbit film, however.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Finally!

Not that I'm a big LOTR fan, but I picked up the extended edition 3D of Unexpected Journey, and have been wanting to see Desolation of Smaug, but have been holding off till the Extended Edition in 3D was released.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:31 PM

Hopefully there won't be a musical number added. I haven't seen the extended version of the 1st movie yet, and I'm dreading that part.

I'm not nearly as wild about this trilogy as the 1st one, I'm holding on to my money and plan to buy the ultimate extended trilogy at the end of next year, with Dolby Atmos tracks if at all possible.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Cover Art here for both... I would normally say that a dragon on the cover is cool but then to be reminded of what happens to said dragon in the movie.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4311[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4312[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Extended Edition' is coming November 4-desolation-ee.jpg   'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Extended Edition' is coming November 4-desolation-ee-3d.jpg  
Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 PM

I'll be buying it on Day 1, but what could they possibly have in this movie that wasn't already in the theatrical edition? Are they intentionally cutting things out of the book to put them in the EE release like they did with the first one? Because if that is the case, then stop making up their own damn material already!!
Old 08-05-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I'll be buying it on Day 1, but what could they possibly have in this movie that wasn't already in the theatrical edition? Are they intentionally cutting things out of the book to put them in the EE release like they did with the first one? Because if that is the case, then stop making up their own damn material already!!
Exactly.

What else could the extra material be?

For the LoTR I bought the extended ones and man they are LONG. I don't feel the urge to have the extra material for these hobbit movies so i'm sticking with the theatrical sets.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:37 PM

The Hobbit films are nothing more than a sideways version of LOTR...trying to recreate the magic, but failing in every way possible. There's not a single new character that I care about in the slightest. And considering we're nearly 6 hours in, that's pretty sad. The FX are embarrassing at times as well (the sled chase from part one, or the barrels from part two). Even the music falls flat for me when it's not directly lifted from the original trilogy (except for the Lonely Mountain theme which is fantastic).
Zero interest in an extended version of a fairly boring film.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 PM

Yea, they really botched The Hobbit.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 PM

I'm going to disagree there. I'll take 9 more hours of Middle Earth over most of the other crap we are getting these days. It's just that I do not understand the need to make The Hobbit into three movies. They could have easily done The Hobbit in two and then just made their own third movie like they were originally going to do so.

This movie is far from boring though. Every scene with Smaugh is just down right incredible. It's just that there was no need for Legalos here.