Is Amazon blocking certain Disney Pre-orders now? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Default Is Amazon blocking certain Disney Pre-orders now?

So, I'm sure this has already been discussed, but is Amazon blocking Disney pre-orders the way they did Warner pre-orders for a while? Need for Speed and Captain America 2 seem to be AWOL.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:05 PM

What's strange is that I've seen a lot of pre-orders come and go, not re-appearing until finally being officially released. One of those releases was Angriest Man in Brooklyn, and that's Lions Gate. It was also done with H.G. Wells The Time Machine, a Turner Home Entertainment film. So they could be having problems with other distributors as well.

Last edited by malakai; 08-01-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Forgive me if it sounds like I am talking out my ass...
From what I can gather, their primary dispute is with Hachette Book Group, which recently acquired Hyperion branded titles (including Marvel) and Disney's distribution business. So there is a 3rd degree of separation here and Amazon is now pissed at Disney as well.
Sidenote: Hachette sales in the U.S. increased 5.6% for the first half of 2014 (over 2013) despite Amazon's punitive actions. I have also seen references to Disney pissing them off with regards to the Amazon Instant Video/Prime streaming service. We know it's always about money and profits. The issue I have with Amazon is if Disney allows asks for only 2 cents per purchased VOD title that Amazon would still charge $15.

Disney animated titles appear to be available to order, the live action and Marvel stuff seems hit and miss.

Since Amazon is being very mum about this issue (and previously Warner) one could only assume the fault lies on Amazon and I would compare them to the spoiled brat child that has to get their way or else.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 PM

Krawk, that sounds like a good theory to me. Hadn't heard about the Hyperion sale. These tactics are stupid. At least I won't have to wait for the UPS guy on release day, I'll just walk down to Fred Meyer.