High-Def Digest's Essential Picks: July 2014 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 PM

Default High-Def Digest's Essential Picks: July 2014

This month, we're covering an utterly unique TV mystery, a powerful biblical epic, and an experimental sci-fi drama.

Please be aware, that if you haven't already seen them, there are some spoilers for the discs listed.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...uly-2014/16871
Old 07-31-2014, 12:32 PM

I watched Under The Skin and her within two weeks of each other.

From seeing her in other films, I didn't think she was that impressive as an actress.

I'm glad I was very wrong. She was so good in these two movies, especially her. Her voice acting was just amazing.

I will probably end up purchasing those two blu rays because they were excellent movies.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I watched Under The Skin and her within two weeks of each other.

From seeing her in other films, I didn't think she was that impressive as an actress.

I'm glad I was very wrong. She was so good in these two movies, especially her. Her voice acting was just amazing.

I will probably end up purchasing those two blu rays because they were excellent movies.
I'm interested in seeing both, but moreso Under The Skin. Both are films I feel I can wait for to appear on Netflix/Prime. I'll be hitting up redbox to rent 'Noah' today (to watch tonight or tomorrow night). I'm sure it's not as good, but...you know how it is lol.

Oh, and I'm currently watching 'Twin Peaks' for the first time (half way through Season 2) and just ordered the Blu-Ray of the series.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:46 AM

From Steven Cohen's article: "the filmmaker has accomplished a rare task by creating a biblical epic that has appeal to both believers and non-believers alike."

I like to surf the internet where only Steven browses at.
Lions and lambs lying in harmony.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:34 PM

So, the writer is actually serious in his Noah segment eh?
Quote:
the movie is an undeniably powerful and visually awe-inspiring experience.
Uh, yes it is highly deniable, and visually the movie didn't do anything Lord of the Rings did 10 years ago, in fact the watchers looked and moved exactly like the Ents, if not even more ridiculous. Atleast the Ents are in a stated fantasy realm.

Quote:
Also, there are lots of animals. Lots and lots of animals.
No there's not. 2 scenes, that's it. One scene where all the birds fly into the log cabin, and then a scene with all the ground creatures into the log cabin. Oh, I guess maybe you can count the scene at the beginning of the movie where Riddick's dog is killed.

You know, I can see where the argument can be made that religious types might mount a negativity campaign against Noah, to 'unjustly' mark the film as bad. But, as a non-religious person myself, I see it the opposite way as well. In that, those that hate religious types, want this movie to succeed and be thought of as great, no matter what. Propaganda comes from all directions, and Noah is a shining example.

Last edited by MasterBlaster; 08-15-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:18 AM

Cohen: "the movie is an undeniably powerful and visually awe-inspiring experience."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
So, the writer is actually serious in his Noah segment eh?

Uh, yes it is highly deniable, and visually the movie didn't do anything Lord of the Rings did 10 years ago, in fact the watchers looked and moved exactly like the Ents, if not even more ridiculous. Atleast the Ents are in a stated fantasy realm.
Speaking of flood visuals. Roland Emmerich's 2012 had ocean flood waters
raging up to Mount Everest. Clearly by 2012, the CG was much improved
over biblical times.