'The Protector 2' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 PM

Default 'The Protector 2' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'The Protector 2'. Here's what he thought of this sequel...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1205...rotector2.html
Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 PM

Oh boy.

So I blind bought this one, $19.99 at Best Buy, in 3D. I don't regret it nearly as much as blind buying 'Pompeii', but that isn't saying much. Here is a quick breakdown...

CONS:
- Tony Jaa barely fights. The whole first third is more stunts than anything else, all done pretty poorly. The worst is the totally unneeded motorcycle scene, which (story wise) is given almost no setup so it makes very little sense. In order to film these "stunts", terrible CGI was used, and distracting editing that would go from a long shot to a waaaay too tight shot right when something interesting was (supposedly) happening.

- How good does a story need to be in a 3D martial arts movie? A bit better than this. The overall story isn't so terrible, it just the way it is structured.
Spoiler
Why kidnap the elephant, to convince Jaa to join an underground fighting ring, but intend on sending him on a suicide mission, so that the elephant could be used as a bomb? Why not just eliminate the whole underground fighting aspect if he isn't actually going to be involved?

- That CGI fire. Yeah, totally not needed in that later fight scene. Oh, and the electric rail fight....cool in concept (perhaps), but the lightsaber noises got to me.

PROS:

- That chick from 'Chocolate', she was fantastic. The guy who played 02 was also impressive.

- When there were was actual fighting, with no CIG, it was fun to watch Jaa fight in 3D.

- There were some decent 3D shots, including a first person perspective shot jumping from one building to another. Not a 3D showcase film, but it doesn't totally waste the technology on weird pop-out CGI.

- I like Rza. He has a love for martial arts movies, and can make a decent soundtrack. 'Man With The Iron Fists' would have been great, if not for him trying to direct himself as the lead. Anyway, his ability to fight was more believable this time around, since he stays in a suit (and you don't notice how skinny he is). I wouldn't mind seeing him in more martial arts films.

Last edited by NJScorpio; 08-04-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 PM

It's awful. Sorry for the loss in time and money.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
It's awful. Sorry for the loss in time and money.
I was thinking about your comments, as I was buying it, and as I was watching it. You were right. But, I must say, if I was ever going to watch it, I'm glad I saw it in 3D. Not worth $19.99 to watch it once though. I'll be selling it at some point.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:30 PM

Aside from that famous restaurant fight scene, the first Protector was pretty crappy too.

"Give back my elephant or I'll kick you in the face!" That's it. That's the whole plot.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Aside from that famous restaurant fight scene, the first Protector was pretty crappy too.

"Give back my elephant or I'll kick you in the face!" That's it. That's the whole plot.
It's pretty bad. However, at least the fight scenes were well done.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
It's pretty bad. However, at least the fight scenes were well done.
Yep, and they were fight scenes, not stunt scenes.

Plus, I do love the part where that large guy grabs the baby elephant by it's feet and swings him at Jaa