'Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection' is coming November 4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 PM

Default 'Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection' is coming November 4

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1321...exclusive.html
Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 PM

Amazon exclusive.
Looks like the 8 movies will be the same that are available now with the special features of this new collection on the 2 other discs?

I already own 5 or 6 of the 8 so this set probably won't be worth it for me.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Amazon exclusive.
Looks like the 8 movies will be the same that are available now with the special features of this new collection on the 2 other discs?

I already own 5 or 6 of the 8 so this set probably won't be worth it for me.
Only disc 10 is "new." Disc 9 was included in the 40th anniversary digibook of A Clockwork Orange.

From Amazon:

Disc 9 – Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures / O’ Lucky Malcolm!
  • Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures - Stanley Kubrick’s career comes into sharp focus in the compelling and revealing documentary narrated by Tom Cruise. A detailed picture of the cinematic legend emerges via fascinating footage of Kubrick in his early years, at work on film sets and at home, and via candid commentary from collaborators, colleagues, and family. From the music he chose to the cameras he used to his unrealized projects (including A.I. Artificial Intelligence, the much- anticipated Kubrick project directed by Steven Spielberg), you’ll uncover a treasure trove of film-buff information. Drawing on Kubrick archives, it offers for the first time a truly intimate portrait of his life among family and friends. There has never been a more essential visual companion piece to the man and his movies.
  • O’ Lucky Malcolm! - Documentary about the life and career of actor Malcolm McDowell produced and directed by Jan Harlan.

Disc 10 – Kubrick Remembered / Stanley Kubrick in Focus / Once Upon a Time … A Clockwork Orange
  • Kubrick Remembered – NEW - A new look into the Kubrick archives, with special appearances by Christiane Kubrick. Featuring never-seen footage of Stanley’s works, his house and his film production facilities.
  • Stanley Kubrick in Focus – NEW to Blu-ray - Spielberg, Soderbergh, Stone, Friedkin, Scorsese and others tell how Kubrick’s directorial style influenced them and how his unique style was developed.
  • Once Upon a Time … A Clockwork Orange – NEW to the U.S. - Co-written by critic Michel Ciment and featuring interviews with a psychologist and a sociologist, Once Upon a Time … ‘A Clockwork Orange’ is a wonderfully unusual cine-documentary that focuses more on the titular movie’s historical context and philosophy than on its production and reception. The documentary benefits from archival audio commentary by the late Stanley Kubrick, who offers his rationale for making the controversial, devilishly prescient proto-punk cult classic: “Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven.”

The fact that the Once Upon A Time... doc isn't on the ACO disc suggests it's the same disc as the digibook, with the old transfer dating back to the days of the format war, and still not the 4K remaster sitting in the Warner vault/occasionally shown in theaters. I doubt any of the discs will have new transfers. In a perfect world, all of the Warner Kubrick's would be re-encoded at Blu-ray optimized bitrates.

I also find it interesting that Spartacus is not included this time. I wonder if Criterion finally renegotiated with Universal and are working on getting a new restoration out on Blu-ray to erase the Uni abomination? Meanwhile, Warner was able to get a re-pressing of Sony's OOP Dr. Strangelove for this set.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:22 PM

Wasn't this set out years ago? And unless these are all 4K transfers, I see no reason to get it.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 PM

There was a "Limited Edition Collection" released in 2011. It went out of print. This new set sort of replaces the old one, but not fully. Although the "Masterpiece Collection" includes a new disc of documentaries, it drops one film: Spartacus. To be fair, Spartacus is not much of a loss as the current BD is AWFUL.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Only disc 10 is "new." Disc 9 was included in the 40th anniversary digibook of A Clockwork Orange.

From Amazon:

Disc 9 – Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures / O’ Lucky Malcolm!
  • Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures - Stanley Kubrick’s career comes into sharp focus in the compelling and revealing documentary narrated by Tom Cruise. A detailed picture of the cinematic legend emerges via fascinating footage of Kubrick in his early years, at work on film sets and at home, and via candid commentary from collaborators, colleagues, and family. From the music he chose to the cameras he used to his unrealized projects (including A.I. Artificial Intelligence, the much- anticipated Kubrick project directed by Steven Spielberg), you’ll uncover a treasure trove of film-buff information. Drawing on Kubrick archives, it offers for the first time a truly intimate portrait of his life among family and friends. There has never been a more essential visual companion piece to the man and his movies.
  • O’ Lucky Malcolm! - Documentary about the life and career of actor Malcolm McDowell produced and directed by Jan Harlan.

Disc 10 – Kubrick Remembered / Stanley Kubrick in Focus / Once Upon a Time … A Clockwork Orange
  • Kubrick Remembered – NEW - A new look into the Kubrick archives, with special appearances by Christiane Kubrick. Featuring never-seen footage of Stanley’s works, his house and his film production facilities.
  • Stanley Kubrick in Focus – NEW to Blu-ray - Spielberg, Soderbergh, Stone, Friedkin, Scorsese and others tell how Kubrick’s directorial style influenced them and how his unique style was developed.
  • Once Upon a Time … A Clockwork Orange – NEW to the U.S. - Co-written by critic Michel Ciment and featuring interviews with a psychologist and a sociologist, Once Upon a Time … ‘A Clockwork Orange’ is a wonderfully unusual cine-documentary that focuses more on the titular movie’s historical context and philosophy than on its production and reception. The documentary benefits from archival audio commentary by the late Stanley Kubrick, who offers his rationale for making the controversial, devilishly prescient proto-punk cult classic: “Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven.”

The fact that the Once Upon A Time... doc isn't on the ACO disc suggests it's the same disc as the digibook, with the old transfer dating back to the days of the format war, and still not the 4K remaster sitting in the Warner vault/occasionally shown in theaters. I doubt any of the discs will have new transfers. In a perfect world, all of the Warner Kubrick's would be re-encoded at Blu-ray optimized bitrates.

I also find it interesting that Spartacus is not included this time. I wonder if Criterion finally renegotiated with Universal and are working on getting a new restoration out on Blu-ray to erase the Uni abomination? Meanwhile, Warner was able to get a re-pressing of Sony's OOP Dr. Strangelove for this set.
I own that 40th anniversary clockwork orange digibook
I will def not be buying this set.
It's a shame they couldn't remaster them