'Need for Speed' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Default 'Need for Speed' - High-Def Digest Review

Michael S. Palmer has reviewed 'Need for Speed'. He says the Blu-ray delivers gorgeous video, exceptional sound, and a good assortment of extras. Recommended for car fanatics and audiophiles. This is worth a look for everyone else.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/12275/needforspeed.html
Old 07-25-2014, 12:34 PM

I'll probably just import the 3D version one day.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
I'll probably just import the 3D version one day.
I was just checking that out on Amazon UK, but that copy seems to be region locked. Is there a release you know of internationally that plays in the US? Or do you have a region free 3D BD player? (I'd be interested in the model, in that case).
Old 07-25-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I was just checking that out on Amazon UK, but that copy seems to be region locked. Is there a release you know of internationally that plays in the US? Or do you have a region free 3D BD player? (I'd be interested in the model, in that case).
Yes. Pick it up from yesasia.com. It has already been released, in Asia, and your region A copy will ship the same day you order it.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Yesasia has NFS 3D. That being said, their cheapest version is $37.99. Listed on their site: Taiwan ver = Region Free, Korean ver = Region A, Hong Kong ver = Region A. Being that we are region A, all of these versions should work here.

As to whether or not I have a region-free player, the answer is 'yes' or it will be mostly complete in August. It's an HTPC, with HD-DVD and Blu-ray Drive, OTA NTSC/ATSC tuner, DVB-S2 tuner, along with a 3D capable (Radeon HD 7870 2GB OC edition - yes, it's overkill, but I may do some gaming on it too) video card. For region-free playback, I'll be using ANYDVD HD. I 'attempted' to test this setup (in 2D) on a P4 system. It was able to play mpeg-2 blu-rays fine but stuttered like crazy with mpeg-4 blu-rays and hd-dvds. So, I will probably be getting an FX-6300 CPU and putting Windows 7 x64 on it and using totalmedia theatre.

So, considering I'll be able to do region-free playback soon, I don't see a reason not to buy more European discs, if they're cheaper or if the films aren't available in North America, as long as they have English subtitles or dubbing. In many cases, Asian films being released in Germany or Italy, for example, won't have any English option.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:33 PM

Hmmm...the yesasia prices aren't too bad when you consider it includes free shipping.

Are there any suggestions for particularly good 3D films (on their site) that are not available in North America?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:35 PM

I saw this in the theater and I kept thinking to myself it should be an awesome Blu-ray with all the cross country cinematography and cool cars. I'm an LFE junkie too so a little bummed to hear it's not full of it. But don't remember a ton of it in the theater either so oh well. I'll pick it up for sure.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 PM

I liked it better when it was called The Fast and the Furious.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:57 PM

I bought this mainly for the 3D car chases. Very happy on that front, but the movie itself comes off as a little too far fetched and juvenile to me. Hard to get through it without throwing in the towel and passing it off as a fantasy movie where anything goes.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 PM

The UK release has a 2.0 LPCM 24bit soundtrack in addition to the surround one. It was very sweet.