'Rio 2' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-22-2014, 12:44 PM

Default 'Rio 2' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Rio 2'. Here's what he thought.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/12286/rio2.html
Old 07-22-2014, 03:30 PM

Default Audio track

Aaron,

Did you find that you had to set the volume at a way higher level than you do for any other BD? I literally had to set the volume at a level about twice as high as I do for the vast majority of other titles. Please check into this. I need to know if I got a copy with a bad audio track.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 PM

Yeah, more or less my thoughts. I rather liked Rio (the first one), but this one fell a bit short. Shame, since I've been waiting a while for it. The story was a lot like I guessed it would be, except:

Spoiler
It was Jewel's family that was found, not Blu's. I figured since we see a little of Blu's parents in the first movie, we'd see them again in the second (a scene will show them finding their way back to the nest, and he's gone, they give him up for lost eventually, etc. Either that, or Blu and Jewel's kids end up taken by a collector, etc. Something like this.

This was my fave scene in Rio 2 BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMmmh0pXyyc
Old 07-22-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew18 View Post
Aaron,

Did you find that you had to set the volume at a way higher level than you do for any other BD? I literally had to set the volume at a level about twice as high as I do for the vast majority of other titles. Please check into this. I need to know if I got a copy with a bad audio track.
No. My volume was set at normal levels. I didn't notice anything that would replicate what you're saying.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew18 View Post
Aaron,

It is a digital medium and a defective disc would not be strictly the audio track. Perhaps you have another issue going on there.

Different studios do master at different levels - Lionsgate is one of the louder studios, so if you watched one of their titles earlier that would be a good explanation.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 PM

The audio was shit in the theater too.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
It is a digital medium and a defective disc would not be strictly the audio track. Perhaps you have another issue going on there.

Different studios do master at different levels - Lionsgate is one of the louder studios, so if you watched one of their titles earlier that would be a good explanation.
It was definitely an issue with the master. I tried it on both my primary and secondary home theatres. I also tried it in my children's playroom, using the television speakers. Regardless of where I played it, the volume had to be turned up significantly louder than almost every other title I own. If you're saying that this couldn't be the fault of that particular disc, this is evidence that every copy that the studio issued has a very quiet audio master, correct? I wonder if Aaron's equipment isn't nice (expensive/high-end) -- no offense meant, Aaron; my equipment was about 15 times the cost of yours -- enough for it to make a difference, or if he just doesn't play other BDs loud enough to notice the difference. I do like to play films LOUD. Anybody have any ideas, or would it be worth a shot to exchange it for a new copy.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 PM

I've already said it in the 3D forum, but yeah, this movie sucked, and I'm tired of buying 3D anime that is somewhere between mediocre and pure shit. This is a movie that goes nowhere until the last 20 minutes or so, just filler, filler, and more filler, to get to a miniscule climax. It doesn't matter that there are pretty colors. There has to be something at least remotely interesting throughout to keep a person entertained, to keep a person from pushing the power button mid-movie.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
I've already said it in the 3D forum, but yeah, this movie sucked, and I'm tired of buying 3D anime that is somewhere between mediocre and pure shit. This is a movie that goes nowhere until the last 20 minutes or so, just filler, filler, and more filler, to get to a miniscule climax. It doesn't matter that there are pretty colors. There has to be something at least remotely interesting throughout to keep a person entertained, to keep a person from pushing the power button mid-movie.
True..every word of it. I was battling nodding off.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:55 AM

Gotta agree with most of the sentiments here. It's a gorgeous film but in the theater and at home (only purchased it because my kids loved it - they also love The Iron Giant and Studio Ghibli so I forgive them) I kept nearly falling asleep.

This film is nothing compared to How To Train Your Dragon 2, which is still the best animated film of the year by far after the new Planes was also a horrendously dull movie.