'Transcendence' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-21-2014, 11:20 AM

Default 'Transcendence' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Transcendence'. Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1209...scendence.html
Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 PM

This movie is not only the worst movie of the year thus far, but it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Johnny Depp needs to retire as he hasn't had a good movie in years. And this is coming from someone who loves Depp as he is/was one of my favorite actors of all time. The movie should have been excellent. Instead, the whole movie was able to be summed up in the 2 minute trailer, which had scenes that were not even in the movie. It was all CGI with no substance to show for it. Even the actors looked bored, especially the lady that played Depp's wife. She had this look that read, "Can I be done with this movie already?" throughout the entire thing. Skip this garbage fest and go watch Bayformers 4. At least you will enjoy that trash since it is filled with explosions.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
This movie is not only the worst movie of the year thus far, but it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Johnny Depp needs to retire as he hasn't had a good movie in years. And this is coming from someone who loves Depp as he is/was one of my favorite actors of all time. The movie should have been excellent. Instead, the whole movie was able to be summed up in the 2 minute trailer, which had scenes that were not even in the movie. It was all CGI with no substance to show for it. Even the actors looked bored, especially the lady that played Depp's wife. She had this look that read, "Can I be done with this movie already?" throughout the entire thing. Skip this garbage fest and go watch Bayformers 4. At least you will enjoy that trash since it is filled with explosions.
I couldn't agree more. An absolute waste of your valuable time. Also agree on Depp. He currently has a number of projects underway and needs a hit. He hasn't had a hit in years. Maybe that's why, as one of those projects, he is going back to the Pirates well for yet another sequel as Jack Sparrow. That well has run dry as far as I am concerned.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM

The picture looks fantastic. Reminds me of how it looked in theaters. Did people forget what 35mm look like?
Old 07-21-2014, 03:01 PM

Actors who have huge success within a very narrow type of role selection often end up going too far down that one path...until they are irrelevant. At a certain point, when a "boy" actor becomes a "man" actor, they need to prove they can act beyond character acting. As we all know, Johnny Depp has been playing a variation of Edward Scissorhands for decades now.

Examples of failing:

Eddie Murphy. Was one of the best comedic actors, kept on the same path, now releasing more stinkers than Adam Sandler.

Mel Gibson. Yes, he is tallented, but he spent so much of his prime doing the same crazy-guy role that he has no clout as a romantic or comedic lead. Held on too long to that one path.

Examples of not failing:

Matthew McConaughey. After many of the same romantic comedies over and over, suddenly he does films like 'Killer Joe', and 'The Paperboy'.

Robin Williams. His bit got old some time after 'Mrs. Doubtfire', probably at the point he stopped doing drugs (see: Steven Martin). Then he appeared on a Law and Order as the criminal! 'One Hour Photo' and 'Insomnia' then show that the man can act, and act CREEPY! Sure, it didn't quite revamp his future filmography ('RV'?), but he proved he could do more...so when he does less, it's more of an old man looking to make a funny film, than an old man looking to gain comedic relavance again (again, see: Steve Martin).
Old 07-21-2014, 03:07 PM

I'm definitely skipping this one. The trailer and TV spots for this movie looked as if they were a remake (or sequel) to The Lawnmower Man...but much, much worse.
Really surprised how small of a role Cillian Murphy has in this film. I thought he would've had a more substantial part, but it sounds as if he were just a minor character. What a waste.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 PM

after hearing wally pfister slam Marvel's The Avengers, i'm happy to see the film bomb.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Transformers 4 is just as bad and almost 3 hours long.

I agree that Transcendence is a really, really bad film. It's based on ideas that stem from the 70's and 80's, but wrapped in a package that comes from the 90's. The film is an odd one and that it seems lost in time and without true merit on which to base it's existence. A film about a "network/AI going bad" has been played out. If you're aren't bringing something new, then there's no point. Nothing in this film suggests even the slightest hint that it wished to offer more than it's predecessors.

Now, onto the subject of Depp. I'm fine with his "AAA status" falling. He's best work has always been under the radar and he's a solid actor that will be around until he dies. So, not worried at all for him. Take the money. Nothing wrong with that.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 PM

Why pay for this Blu-ray when you can get a free copy from us?

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/tr...luray-contest/
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Actors who have huge success within a very narrow type of role selection often end up going too far down that one path...until they are irrelevant. At a certain point, when a "boy" actor becomes a "man" actor, they need to prove they can act beyond character acting. As we all know, Johnny Depp has been playing a variation of Edward Scissorhands for decades now.
I disagree there. He was not playing Scissorhands in Blow, Fear and Loathing Las Vegas, Sweeney Todd, Donny Brasco, Public Enemies (even though this movie is subpar), and The Ninth Gate.