'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Chain of Command' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-18-2014, 10:13 AM

Default 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Chain of Command' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Chain of Command'. Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1154...ofcommand.html
Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 PM

These releases are shameless cash-grabs. I remember when Next Generation came to DVD, on season 3 at least in Best of Both Worlds, they were kind enough to include both the cliffhanger and the finale as part of the set.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I guess the biggest advantage of these cash grabs though is convenience. They're edited like actual movies.
The tv episodes will of course say "To Be Continued," close credits, next one starts "Last Time on Star Trek The Next Generation" with a rehash of what you just watched, along with a small continuance and the opening theme then a resumption of the show. A lot of interruptions if you know what I mean.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
These releases are shameless cash-grabs. I remember when Next Generation came to DVD, on season 3 at least in Best of Both Worlds, they were kind enough to include both the cliffhanger and the finale as part of the set.
I own the entire series on DVD and this is not true. The season sets were released in episodic order. If you wanted to see part 2 of BOBW you had to wait until the season four box set came out.

Personally I have no interest in buying all these episodes and seasons again on Blu-ray as I've seen them hundreds of times. If I get the itch to see them there's always my dvds or netflix. These releases work for me as I like watching these two parters being put together and watched like motion pictures. BOBW was awesome and I look forward to COC as it is one of my favorites.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I guess the biggest advantage of these cash grabs though is convenience. They're edited like actual movies.
The tv episodes will of course say "To Be Continued," close credits, next one starts "Last Time on Star Trek The Next Generation" with a rehash of what you just watched, along with a small continuance and the opening theme then a resumption of the show. A lot of interruptions if you know what I mean.
Truthfully, I think the only REAL draw of this release is the proprietary special features it comes with that aren't on the season six set.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Truthfully, I think the only REAL draw of this release is the proprietary special features it comes with that aren't on the season six set.
This songs so Paramount, literally! Look at Star Trek Into Darkness and the 17 different versions available each with their own exclusives
Old 07-20-2014, 12:31 PM

I've liked the previous releases, as I did not have to wait several months for the cliffhanger, and they were not interupted by credits, but I do not really see the reason for this here, unless someone doesn't want to drop $80 on the season. I mean, it takes just a few seconds to go to the menu and select the next episode and skip the opening.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
This songs so Paramount, literally! Look at Star Trek Into Darkness and the 17 different versions available each with their own exclusives
That problem will be corrected this fall when the Compendium brings all the special features from the various versions of Star Trek according to the Abrams canon together in one set. (Although that too is a double dip by Paramount who know their Star Trek audience's astonishing willingness to buy the same and similar materials over and over again only too well).