'Noah' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Default 'Noah' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed Darren Aronofsky's 'Noah'. He says this epic film is both inspiring and stimulating. The Blu-ray features amazing video, reference-quality audio, and supplements that appear to be exclusive to the format. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/11781/noah.html
Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 AM

I had VERY high hopes, as Aronofsky has made some of my favorite films of all time.
Sadly, I was a little underwhelmed. It wasn't a bad movie by any means...but I expected more from it. Some kind of emotional attachment or something. Oh well, they all can't be home runs.

And to address the "Biblical" stuff that so many people seem to be upset by. I had no issues with the Rock Transformers (sorry, I mean, Fallen Angels/Watchers)...I actually thought they were kind of cool (if unexpected). The world was supposed to be magical back then, so I don't think they were really out of place. The stuff that I can't really get over are the things directly from the story...and that's the fact that there would have to be a whole lot of inbreeding going on! At the best, an uncle is going to procreate with his nieces...at worst, a mother and son or father and daughter. Every time I think about that, I get sucked out of the movie.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:44 AM

One of the most visual, though-provoking, batshit crazy movies I've seen all year. I loved 'Noah'.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM

I thought this film was a very well done epic and far better than expected. Great entertainment and artistic liberties made the strory more interesting and suspenseful than it might have been otherwise. I didn't expect this review to be a commentary on religion. (The intro paragraph of the review by M. Enois essentially concludes evolution is a fact and the Bible is a Myth.) But I guess that's a debate for another web site.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:09 PM

So, you're saying it's better than Evan Almighty?
Old 07-17-2014, 02:28 PM

If you do some looking around, you can find out that the fallen angels were talked about in the book of Enoch I believe it was. Its not part of the Bible obviously, but there is scripture information about them.

Aronofski didnt make this movie from just what was in the bible, it seems he pulled from many different religious places.

I really enjoyed the film, thought it was a great epic, biblical and Lord of the Rings combined pretty much, with Aronofski's flair for the amazing visuals and great camera shots, cant go wrong in my book, but of course some people cant get past their own issues with religion and faith, a Hollywood production such as this isnt going to do anything to what you believe in if you truly believe in it, this is entertainment and if you are a religious person, this is the kind of movie that will easily get people talking and researching the subject, so what is the problem?
Old 07-17-2014, 02:49 PM

What I love about 'Noah' is that it's an art house film masquerading as a big budget blockbuster.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-17-2014, 03:09 PM

It's a shame that religion/Christianity always seems to be at odds with something. I consider myself deeply religious in the Christian tradition, and it pains me to see that we hop from one protest to another. "Noah" just happens to be one of the latest.

I personally haven't watched the film yet, but I was really impressed with the creation scene I saw on you-tube...absolutely gorgeous! I am excited to see this one, and my expectations are in proper alignment of what this is...a director's take on the biblical account.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:49 PM

I'd like to see the story of Noah directy by Baz Luhrmann, staring Nathan Lane.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan007 View Post
It's a shame that religion/Christianity always seems to be at odds with something. I consider myself deeply religious in the Christian tradition, and it pains me to see that we hop from one protest to another. "Noah" just happens to be one of the latest.

I personally haven't watched the film yet, but I was really impressed with the creation scene I saw on you-tube...absolutely gorgeous! I am excited to see this one, and my expectations are in proper alignment of what this is...a director's take on the biblical account.
That is just sad. The old testament god is one of the more evil gods I have heard of (and there are plenty of evil gods). Killing so many children... To really believe in that must be truly depressing...
I think I will pick this up when i'ts cheap. Sounds sort of interesting.