'Under the Skin' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 AM

Default 'Under the Skin' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Under the Skin'. He says you have to experience this for yourself. With strong video, stellar audio, and interesting extras, this "beautiful, frightening, challenging" film is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/12177/undertheskin.html
Old 07-15-2014, 02:45 PM

Default Best of 2014, so far...

Excellent review. Your thoughts echo my own. As of right now, this is probably the best film I have seen in 2014.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:06 PM

Really dug the film. Loved watching this in the theater then leaving to the sounds of confused people. Loved it.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Since Lionsgate is the U.S. distributor, chances are the UK Steelbook will likely be the same transfer but locked B. Grrrrr. Actually, not so many r's in Grrrrr as I will likely pick up the domestic release as the art on the Steel did not do it for me.

Even the screenshots of this review look stunning. Sure to please even though only a 3.5 PQ.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 PM

I love how ambiguous this film is. There is no explicit exposition, which invites the viewer's imagination to fill the void. What we see, hear, and feel at any given moment is more salient than what we think. Questions are not answered. There are a few seeds of a story, and nothing more.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:56 AM

I can barely watch the beach scene, no movie has ever shocked me that way before. I still feel the chill behind my back whenever I think of it.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Since Lionsgate is the U.S. distributor, chances are the UK Steelbook will likely be the same transfer but locked B. Grrrrr. Actually, not so many r's in Grrrrr as I will likely pick up the domestic release as the art on the Steel did not do it for me.

Even the screenshots of this review look stunning. Sure to please even though only a 3.5 PQ.
Most of the movie looks great, but the instances of banding were too hard to ignore. There is some really amazingly shot scenes though. I wavered between a 3.5 and a 4. It was a tough choice really, for what it's worth.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-16-2014, 09:52 PM

Default Are you crazy?

My wife and I watched it and we are still wondering when all the holes in the story are filled. If you have read the book you might know whats going on. Otherwise you remain in the dark forever.
Spoiler
Who are the Motorcycle guys? No explanation. Why is she killing only good looking young man? No explanation. Who is she feeding the guys to? No explanation. Why is she in Scottland in the first place? No explanation. Why would she even pick up an Elephant man kind of guy in the first place if she knows the (unknown) super being doesn't like ugly/diseased people? No explanation. She is a robot/alien but still feels cold at times? No explanation. She suddenly feels like she wants to be human and starts eating, or at least tries to eat? And then finds out she can't. Still no explanation. Only at minute 1 before the ending you know she is an alien when her skin gets pealed off. WTF.
Are you all blinded by the 30 seconds of SJ being naked to oversee all of the flaws? Why do you think SJ tried to stop this film of being released ever in the first place? IMHO her worst film ever!

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 07-18-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 PM

The details are there. I think you were blinded by the nudity to not see it.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
My wife and I watched it and we are still wondering when all the holes in the story are filled. If you have read the book you might know whats going on. Otherwise you remain in the dark forever.
Spoiler
Who are the Motorcycle guys? No explanation. Why is she killing only good looking young man? No explanation. Who is she feeding the guys to? No explanation. Why is she in Scottland in the first place? No explanation. Why would she even pick up an Elephant man kind of guy in the first place if she knows the (unknown) super being doesn't like ugly/diseased people? No explanation. She is a robot/alien but still feels cold at times? No explanation. She suddenly feels like she wants to be human and starts eating, or at least tries to eat? And then finds out she can't. Still no explanation. Only at minute 1 before the ending you know she is an alien when her skin gets pealed off. WTF.
Are you all blinded by the 30 seconds of SJ being naked to oversee all of the flaws? Why do you think SJ tried to stop this film of being released ever in the first place? IMHO her worst film ever!
You obviously missed everything this movie does, instead of being intrigued by the journey, all you care about is the ending. Obviously you are one of those people that have to have a movie like this make total sense to you at the end, you HAVE to have some kind of explanation for everything. There are others out there that love movies such as this and I am one of them.

Gotta agree with the reviewer, one of the best movies I've seen this year hands down. That beach scene got me close to tears, the contrast of loving and coldness/uncaring was just spectacular, one of the most heart wrenching scenes I've seen filmed in years and it was so simply done.

I was glued to the TV for this whole thing, loved it!

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 07-18-2014 at 06:39 AM.