best behind-the-scenes documentaries 30-120 minutes - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-14-2014, 10:17 AM

Default best behind-the-scenes documentaries 30-120 minutes

What are some of the best 30-120 minute length behind-the-scenes documentaries on Blu-rays? I'm looking for new ones mostly in HD.

I have a some favorite feature documentaries on the making of movies.

1998 BBC documentary The Fear of God: 25 Years of 'The Exorcist'[/URL] (74 mins)
from The Exorcist 25th Anniversary Special Edition - 1973 (1998)
and it's on the 2010 Blu-ray.

the 50-minute BBC documentary, The Poughkeepsie Shuffle: Tracing 'The French Connection' from
The French Connection
Five Star Collection - 1971 (2001)
Quote:
Done by the same filmmakers responsible for the wonderful documentary on The Exorcist: 25th Anniversary Special Edition, The Poughkeepsie Shuffle is an in-depth look at not only the filming of the movie, but also the history behind the film.
A Legacy of Filmmakers: The Early Years of American Zoetrope on the
THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut Special Edition - 1971 (2004) DVD
Quote:
documentary on the early history of Francis Ford Coppola's American Zoetrope studios, of which both Lucas and Murch were a part. The piece is narrated by Richard Dreyfuss and runs a little over an a hour.

'The Beginning: Making 'Episode I' by filmmaker Jon Shenk on the
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) 2-disc DVD.
While the film is not a favorite amongst fans the documentary made from 600 hours of behind-the-scenes footage is really a great 66 minute documentary without narration.

epic documentary called Recreating the Eighth Wonder: The Making of 'King Kong' (2006) 187 min
King Kong: Deluxe Extended Edition 3-disc (2006)
I believe on the disc is also the "Post Production Diaries"

A documentary Lost in La Mancha (2002) 93 min.
happened to capture
Terry Gilliam's attempt to get The Man Who Killed Don Quixote off the ground. Back injuries, freakish storms, and more zoom in to sabotage the project (which has never been resurrected).
An update: oddly Terry Gilliam's The Man Who Killed Don Quixote is in preproduction on imdb for 2011 with a script rewrite, new location and recast.

this is not as good as Ep.I's comprehensive docu. but still worth mentioning
The documentary Within a Minute: The Making of Episode III, which runs nearly 80 minutes. for Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (2005)

3 documentaries
Taking Flight: the Development of Superman (30 min.)
Making Superman: Filming the Legend (31 min.)
The Magic Behind the Cape (24 min.)
While these 3 are not as good as the above documentaries I think they are unique in that hours of behind-the-scenes 16mm film footage was shot and never used until these were put together in 2001.
on the
Superman: The Movie Special Edition - 1978 (2001) DVD

Requiem for Krypton: Making Superman Returns (173 min., SD) - 3-hour production diary
from 2006 Superman Returns (Blu-ray)

three-part retrospective documentary, "To Boldly Go: Launching Enterprise" HD 90 minutes.
from Star Trek: Enterprise - Season One (Blu-ray)

What are your favorites (longer than 20 minutes) about the making of movies on DVD or Blu-ray included when purchasing a movie?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:53 AM

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse. Included in the "Full Disclosure Edition" of Apocalypse Now.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse. Included in the "Full Disclosure Edition" of Apocalypse Now.
Absolutely mesmerizing. Hearts of Darkness is as good as it gets regarding a documentary about what goes into the process of making a motion picture. In many ways, it is as good as Apocalypse Now itself.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:28 PM

On the Brazil Criterion...

What is "Brazil"? (1080i/60, 29 min) The on-set documentary by Rob Hedden shows a wealth of BTS footage and insightful cast & crew interviews discussing the film's plot.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:18 AM

Burden of Dreams, Les Blank's documentary about the making of Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL99NDUWJ0A Also, Herzog's My Best Friend. It isn't so much about the making of any specific movie. It's about the many movies the director made with actor/crazy person Klaus Kinski, and their unusual relationship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLnDyVJzU38
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM

wow. it looks like i'll have to see the most exhaustive documentary about 'Rob Zombie's Halloween' (2007)

"Michael Lives: The Making of Halloween" (4 hours)
from the 2008 Unrated Collector's Edition blu-ray.
Quote:
the massive 4.5 hour documentary that covers the entire spectrum of the filmmaking process. Broken into several parts, including Preproduction and 8 segments that look at all 42 days of the shoot, Michael Lives: The Making of 'Halloween' (1080i, 4:20:00) is one of the most comprehensive, painstaking, and thorough documentaries to date.
although horror-movie-a-day.blogspot.com has a review of the docu and says it is
Quote:
world's longest promotional EPK making of piece; only to be used as some sort of endurance test
so i guess i won't waste my time.

also I want to see this one: about
Psycho (1960)
The Making of 'Psycho' (SD; 1:34:12) is an incredibly excellent feature length documentary on virtually every aspect of the film's production;
Old 07-28-2014, 04:37 PM

I have to say that both Superman Returns and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen have excellent, feature-length production documentaries that are much more interesting than the movies they're about.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:08 PM

One of my favorites if Ebert's Casablanca. It's filled with awesome info.